Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,020   Online: 830

Shooter
    Multi Format

what does DB mean in a lens(board)

Hi guys, I have a feeling this is basic knowledge, but still I dont know.
    I know a lens should be fitted in a lensboard and combined with a shutter, copal or something like that in aorder to work.
    I am looking for a 90mm lens, and every now and then I spot a 90mm lens in a board with the letters DB....
    What does that mean? Instead of a shutter there is a closed ring or something...

is it just a board with lens and no shutter?
    do I need a shutter?
    Is DB for losers?

anyhow, lots of questions, can someone clear one or two thing up for me?
    THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
    game

Lenses in Sinar DB mount are not for losers. They are meant to be used on a Sinar with their behind-the-lens shutter mounted on the front standard.
    The lensboard has a cone on the front, so that the entire lens will sit in front of the Sinar's front standard (and the shutter). Of course there's no between-the-lens shutter; so it's pointless to try and use these lenses any other way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, so I guess that DB is useless for me since my sinar works with a shutter in the lens board right?

Thanks game

That's correct. The DB shutter is quite a contraption, most useful to studio photographers doing a lot of tabletop work. Lenses in a DB board are useless without the shutter. Lenses with a shutter won't work with the DB shutter.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can a DB lens be removed from the board and fitted into a normal shutter? Or is it a special fitting.

Cheers

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No reason at all why the lenses cant be fitted into a regular shutter, but finding a good shutter can be is difficult and a new one is expensive, and the chances are it will cost you far more than finding and buying a lens already mounted in a shutter.

The BB stands for "Don't Buy" unless you have a Sinar and it's shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The front elements on my old 210 mm Caltar HR seperated, for some unknown reason. Also, I got severe paint flaking behind the very front element. I unscrewed the lens from the still perfectly good Copal 1 shutter, and got a Caltar S II on a DB board from KEH for about $200. The front and back of the lens screwed right into the shutter, and as a unit it performs flawlessly. And, I got $32. for the board on eBay. All and all, a pretty good deal for replacing a bad lens. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No reason at all why the lenses cant be fitted into a regular shutter, but finding a good shutter can be is difficult and a new one is expensive, and the chances are it will cost you far more than finding and buying a lens already mounted in a shutter.

The BB stands for "Don't Buy" unless you have a Sinar and it's shutter.

Ian
    Thanks, I figured it would work that way but wanted to be sure. I've seen DB mount lenses sell for less than a lens in shutter, and as I have a prontor press with nothing to wear then getting a Db lens is an option I can consider if the price is right.

Cheers,

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl View Post
    Can a DB lens be removed from the board and fitted into a normal shutter? Or is it a special fitting.

Cheers

Martin
    Not all DB mounted lenses are a direct fit into a modern Copal/Compur/Prontor shutter. Typically, the larger and longer focal length lenses which appear to fit a Copal #3 shutter do in fact fit a #3 shutter. It's the shorter focal lengthed lenses which will may require adapters (most often for the rear optic).

It's also important to keep in mind that even if a lens screws directly into a shutter from a barrel, the distance between the optics and their relative location to the aperture may be different.

-Adam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the extra information.

Cheers

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by S.K. Grimes View Post
    Not all DB mounted lenses are a direct fit into a modern Copal/Compur/Prontor shutter. Typically, the larger and longer focal length lenses which appear to fit a Copal #3 shutter do in fact fit a #3 shutter. It's the shorter focal lengthed lenses which will may require adapters (most often for the rear optic).

It's also important to keep in mind that even if a lens screws directly into a shutter from a barrel, the distance between the optics and their relative location to the aperture may be different.

-Adam
    I'm Spartacus!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin