Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,749   Online: 840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Zone VI camera will take a copal #3 hole in the board you can go as large as 3 inches.

When I was at Zone VI Fred and myself did some field test of the 355 G-Claron against the 360 Symmar. We both found the 355 G-Claron to be a far better lens in the type of photography we were doing. I have found the 355 G-Claron to be the one lens that always goes out with me no matter what size camera I am carrying. 4 x 5 right up to 12 x 20 and 11 x 14.

Richard Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I ended up getting a 300mm Nikkor-M. If I go longer someday I'll go for the 355 G-Claron. Thanks everybody!

Mark

Mark- congratulations on the 300M- a very sharp lens that fits well on our cameras. But be aware that the 23" extension on the Z-VI is almost entirely theoretical. The longest non-tele lens that will focus to infinity on that camera is a 16-1/2" (420mm) Artar; a 500mm Nikkor-T tele will work too, both of them are at the functional limit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Mark- congratulations on the 300M- a very sharp lens that fits well on our cameras. But be aware that the 23" extension on the Z-VI is almost entirely theoretical. The longest non-tele lens that will focus to infinity on that camera is a 16-1/2" (420mm) Artar; a 500mm Nikkor-T tele will work too, both of them are at the functional limit.
    Thanks. Does the bellows sag at longer lengths? What's the prob with longer than 16 1/2?

I have the Zone VI 4x5 and my long lenses are the Nikor 300M and the Fuji 450C. Both are in Copal 1 shutters and have 52mm filter size. Very compact. There is plenty of bellows to focus the 450 (18") down to about 11 feet.

I think that to get 23" of bellows you'd have to stretch the all the pleats out. My camera, from '91, won't focus a 19" Artar at infinity, and the #4 shutter it was in overloaded the front standard. The 16-1/2" would focus, but again I thought the shutter was too big. And long lenses increase magnification, which means shake and instability is magnified too. So when I say "functionally" I mean that even if you can get the extension, the camera is less rigid and a bit of a pain to manipulate. Stretching the camera out all the way and then putting a big lens meant for 8x10 on the front... If you try it you'll see what I mean. The camera is just much happier with a small 300 on it. But don't let me stop you from trying!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin