Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,258   Posts: 1,660,533   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Zone VI 4x5 lensboard size

I just purchased a Zone VI 4x5 made about 1993, with about a 23 inch extension and am looking for lenses longer than my 210mm. I was looking at a Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f/5.6 with a Copal #3 and it's description says it requires a 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 or larger lens board. Is this lens that large or is this a typo and they mean 3 1/4? My camera lensboard is 4x4". Are there lenses out there that are too large for a standard 4x4 board?

Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, there are lenses that are too large for the Zone VI lensboards. I have a Zone VI and if I were going for a longer lens, I would look toward a 305 Repro Claron or 305 and even a 355 G Claron. All of which have a ton of movement for a 4X5 camera but are all mounted in a Copal one shutter. All are F9 maximum aperture although that has not posed a problem in my experience.

I like the 305 length on 4X5.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark -

A Copal #3 shutter requires a 65mm hole in the lens board - that's about 2 2/3". Therefore, it is possible to bore a Zone VI lens board to accommodate a Copal #3 shutter. However, the amount of freeboard you would have around the outside would be limited to about 2/3". That would cause me to be a bit concerned about weakening the board. However, Calumet does offer Zone VI boards drilled for a Copal #3, so apparently it is viewed as OK.

What is the outside diameter of the lens? Keep in mind that the rear portion of the lens must fit through the lens board opening (which is 3.5" x 3.5"), so if the lens is larger than that, it won't fit on the camera. Also, if the front of the lens is too large, you might have difficulty sliding the clips that hold the board on the front standard.
    Louie

At home I have a 4x5 Zone VI; and an 8x10 camera I use at work has a 300mm Symmar-S in a #3 shutter. That lens would be much too big and heavy to work on the Z-VI. I doubt that the front standard could support it; it weighs almost as much as the Z-VI camera.
    In addition to the G-Clarons mentioned above, I'd suggest you look at a 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M. I've had one for a long time and it's very sharp, easy to focus, and fits very nicely on the Z-VI.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for the info. Good thing I lost bidding on an ebay auction for a Schneider Symmar-S 360. I don't know if that would have fit either but it must be workable. Otherwise why would Zone VI have undersized their front standard when they have a 23 inch bellows draw?

My camera came with a wood lensboard drilled for a Copal #3 so as you say Monophoto I assume it can support the lens if I'm not too wild with the camera. I could check the rear element filter size of any given lens to see if it fits into the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I have a Zone VI and if I were going for a longer lens, I would look toward a 305 Repro Claron or 305 and even a 355 G Claron.
    Donald, what was the 2nd 305mm you are referring to? Yes, I figure around a 300mm would be the next step after a 210mm. How does a G-Claron differ from a Repro Claron?

Thanks!
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark,
    The two 305 lenses are the repro claron and the G claron. They are both made by Schneider. The G Claron is acknowledged as having more coverage...but both have more than enough for 4X5. The repro claron is probably going to be less expensive.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    also Donald said that the 355mm is a copal #1 when in fact it needs a copal #3.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    I own a 300 Symmar, 305 f9 G Claron, 355 G Claron, 360 Symmar, 450 f11 fujinon, 450 f9 Nikon, and 600 Fujinon all mounted on Zone VI 4x5 boards. I use these lenses on both my Zone VI 4x5, and Zone VI 8x10. For those that can be used on the 4x5, never had a problem with the front standard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    I use these lenses on both my Zone VI 4x5, and Zone VI 8x10. For those that can be used on the 4x5, never had a problem with the front standard.
    Thanks, that's good to know. That's quite a collection of lenses!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. Good thing I lost bidding on an ebay auction for a Schneider Symmar-S 360.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Mark,

I think you should thank the Gods above for not winning that HUMONGOUS chunk of glass. I think it would have been way, way too heavy for your camera. I have one that I use on a pretty sturdy 5x7 Dorff and I worry about it when I mount this beast!

FWIW, I think the 355 G-Claron is a great chunk of glass... far, far more manageable than the 360 Symmar. The 300 is also a great lens!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin