Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,766   Online: 799

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I got one years ago, figuring I would pull the lens and use it on a Speed. Instead I found another lens almost ready to mount. My F8 has a nifty FP shutter and a glass sheet to keep rollfilm flat. It was advertised as camera plus bag mag, so i figured the bag mag would fit- Looks like I need an adapter/alternate rear door to hold a bag mag.
    #1 Would someone please shed some light on this quandary- have I missed something, or am I missing a camera part? I assume the glass platen would be removed ??
    #2 The Bag mag sez made by Folmer and Scwhing, combination Plate and Cut Fil Magazine. By comparison to a film pack holder i confirm it's same as Graflex. Each sheath/septum hold cut film under the sheath lips on 3 sides in front of a painted steel plate- argggh HEAVY. I presumed that the steel plate might be removeable in order to accomodate a glass plate negative, but I am unable to move/jiggle the "insert" in any way separately from the outer sheath. I was hoping to try replacing the steel with an equivalent sheet of plastic or aluminum.
    Any hints as to if/how this can be done without screwing up the outer, thin, aluminum sheath?
    #3 If I can get sheet film [by making the bagmag fit correctly] I'd see if I could shim the lens out to a focus of say 100 feet or so and deal with the resulting DOF [ I haven't done my homework on that yet]
    Thanks y'all
    Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just found a roll of Super-XX Aerographic (7in x 18ft) film unused in its original box, inside its original can. The seal intact.

Problem: It expired in 1949!

Probably, the best I can do with it is use it as a pattern for cutting new film to size.

What do you think?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd certainly shoot some of it and develop it, just to see if maybe it's not fogged beyond all return. Super-XX is pretty fast film for its day, though, right? Overexpose/underdevelop! (Pull it a stop or two).

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I have two rolls. (Haven't dug all the way to the bottom of the box of stuff I found it in.)
    I suppose I could shoot one, for better or worse and see what happens.

If the pictures turn out I know I've got another roll. Plus I could keep that used roll as a pattern for making more, should I ever get the gumption to cut down a roll of 9-inch film.

What do you think the stuff is worth? I don't imagine it's worth anything more than a curiosity. Is it?
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You own the film, you own the camera, might as well give it a shot! If you were pondering whether to spend any money on the film, I'd say it's not a good bet, but if you already have it in hand you might as well go for it, nothing to lose but time and chemicals.

I'm not familiar with how these rolls work. Is there backing paper? If it's just film with no paper you could shoot and develop a few bracketed shots and then just process those before deciding whether the rest of the roll and the second roll are even worth bothering with.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have yet to actually see (handle) the film. It is still sealed in its can, inside the box.
    I have some empty spools. They basically look like 120 spools on steroids. I can't imagine how it would be without backing paper. The camera does load in (subdued) daylight. I think the manual says something about paper backing. I just assume there is.

As soon as I get a day where I can, I think I'm going to go to the observation deck on a tall building and shoot some film. That's about as "aerial" as I'll be able to get without renting a plane. At this point, not knowing if the film is even good, it's not worth it.

*IF* I can get this puppy working and *IF* I can get some good, fresh film for it, I was thinking of going over to the civil aviation hangar at the airport and asking around. I bet I could find somebody willing to trade an airplane ride for an afternoon's use of the camera and some aerial photos.

The only question left is how the heck I'm going to develop the film. At 18 feet in length, I don't think I'm going to be able to "seesaw" develop. Maybe that roller device I was dreaming up could do double duty as a cutter and a roller developer?
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, I wasn't even thinking about using it aerially for the tests. That would definitely not be worth the effort for such a low-probability of good results. Just shoot something far away from on the ground. Walk, before you run! If you just shoot a few frames and (in the dark) snip it off from the rest of the roll, and retape the fresh leading edge of the roll back to the paper where it sits, you should be able to seesaw develop it in trays. Then if it's at all usable you can still shoot some more on that roll. If not, you still have all the parts (spools, backing paper, scrap film) to help in cutting down some newer film to use.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an observation tower on the waterfront where you can get a view of the city and out over Lake Erie.
    I'll certainly shoot the first couple of shots as landscapes from the ground but it's not that difficult to go up to the observation deck.

Just go up the elevator... carrying a large wooden case with a really, freakin' huge camera inside it
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey! I just found a bag mag that is supposed to work on this camera. It's got all the parts and everything looks pretty intact.

Only thing is I can't quite figure out how to work it.

So, what do you do? Nearest I figure is that you load the 12 slides with film and stack them inside the box in order. When you shoot an exposure you reinsert the dark slide and pull the lever and eject a slide into the bag.

Then what do you do? Do you stuff it back into the top of the stack? Seems pretty fiddly.
    Randy S.

-----

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin