Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,414   Online: 956

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I doubt it has the kind of coverage you're after but I sometimes forward- or reverse-mount my Nikkor-EL 63mm f/2.8 in a press shutter
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are dozens of posts about fast lenses. Basically, if you want relatively sharp open wide your only real choices are a Xenotar or a Planar. There are a few other sharp and fast lenses out there however they are relatively rare.

If you don't mind flare and weird bokeh your choices are much broader. Any of the 150-240mm f3.5 Tessars are acceptable (the more recent the sharper and larger coverage), and the 8" f2.9 Pentacs are decent (but quality of the ex-Air Ministry lenses is quite variable). There are a dozen other relatively uncommon speed lenses out there, many of them British made. Some, like the Dallmeyer Super-6, are apparently quite good (or so I hear, Dan) while others, like the Lee Speedic are just terrible, assuming that you don't believe that coma and other optical defects are nice "bokeh".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hrm could not find "Petzval" or "Vitax" on ebay...

On a side note, I like my 135mm f/4.7 Optar, but sometimes it just seems too wide, also I've never shot anything different on a 4x5 other than the slower 90mm f/6.3 optar, so I would not know if my optar is what some may consider 'sub-par', or if its 'above average' compared to what most of you folks are listing off as 'sharp', or as 'ewww'.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    That lens might be *unique* to try then. I thought about getting myself some kind of pneumatic shutter or some other kind of shutter-only assembly, so I could randomly just start slapping lens on the front that didn't have shutters built in just to see what kind of look I could get.
    karl --
    ditch the crown graphic, get a speed graphic. the focal plane shutters
    are great for doing just that ... either that, or get a packard shutter
    ... some can get a flash sync but the downside is 1 shutter speed ...
    sometimes you can find fast lenses at jay tepper's site ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    karl --
    ditch the crown graphic, get a speed graphic. the focal plane shutters
    are great for doing just that ... either that, or get a packard shutter
    ... some can get a flash sync but the downside is 1 shutter speed ...
    sometimes you can find fast lenses at jay tepper's site ..
    I was lucky to even afford the crown graphic....
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The last Vitax 16" that I watched close on the bay ended up at a little over $1300. They are fast at f3.8, but are just a little bit shorter in length than a VW bug and I think they weigh just a little bit more than the VW.

I don't think they were designed with Crown Graphics in mind.

Don't ditch the Crown, just add the Speed Graphic.

Wayne

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There's a whole shitload of fast lenses out there. Plaubel Anticomar 180mm f2.9, Cooke f2.9,f2.5, and even f2 lenses. Series IX, X and 0, I believe.. I think the Cooke Series went up to 10" in focal length. Some of them are really nice. I've got a Zeiss Planar 250mm f4 lens that is awesome wide open that is about to go on Ebay. Bausch and Lomb f2.5 aerial lenses..I could go on and on and usually do....Some people say they aren't sharp wide open, but that's rubbish. Some of them are mushy, but some of them are awesome! Especially if you are only making 11x14 enlargements from 3 1/4x4 1/4 or 4x5 negatives. Good bokeh is in the eye (or mind) of the beholder. I believe the literal translation of bokeh is "I think the out of focus areas in this picture are awesome!" I've seen any number of attempts to quantify good or bad bokeh and they all make me laugh so hard I almost spill my scotch. Do what I did and read all the old texts you can find and buy/borrow/steal all the old lenses you can find and shoot as much film as you can afford with each lens and figure out what you like.

Or go on the internet and listen to what other people have to say....
    Last edited by ineffablething; 01-06-2007 at 01:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Drugs started to wear off
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    If pic quality is perhaps of lesser concern (but why bother with LF then?) there are some huge TV- and other- Projection lenses out there, that MAY be useable: I have a monstrous Fujinon TV-Projection lens 145mm, f1.2 (yes, one-point-two) somewhere that covers 6x12cm at infinity, 4x5" if you go closer, or don't mind dark corners. It's about the same size as a medium Jobo print drum.
    As others have said: No DOF there, i.e. pretty useless unless you're taking pics of 2D only and/or are after that elusive "special" bokeh; projection lenses usually don't have aperture diaphragms either. Two additional problems for my particular lens are of course the lack of a shutter (again, being a projection lens) and its rear element sits as close as about an inch from the film plane at infinity, a challenge even for focal-plane shuttered cameras, like the Speed Graphic. Therefore, MF or smaller format SLRs can't be used either with this particular lens. So, I'm actually not sure what to do with this one..."Dreamy" night photography anyone? Massive 4x5 slide projector?....now, where to find Anti-Newton 4x5 slide mounts .....but I digress....
    Last edited by spongeboy; 06-08-2009 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin