Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,900   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Speed Graphic shutter repair

Can anyone suggest an experienced repair person to tweak a Speed Graphic type focal plane shutter (its actually a F&S 8x10 focal plane shutter)? It seems the springs have lost most of their tension.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd contact Carol Miller at Flutot's Camera Repair. If she can't help, she should be able to refer you to someone who can.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Russ - Is it safe to assume that the mechanism is well lubed and free running, apart from the spring tension? If so, it may be worth looking for some kind of a pre-tensioning control. This is akin to fixing a lazy window shade by rolling it up a bit before hanging it. Most of the big FP shutters that I have seen incorporate some kind of tensioning control. Have you stared at it enough to know if this one does? It might be hiding under a cover plate or plug screw. Also, just curiosity here, what is the condition of the fabric itself? It is a continual source of wonder to me that some old FP's are crispy as Saltines and some are supple.

Good luck,
    J

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You might contact Bert Saunders in Bakersfield, California to see if he can help. He repaired the shutter on my RB series D camera.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read in the Graflex repair manuals (but have no personal experience) that these kind of shutters need to be pre-tensioned to a certain degree before the shutter tensioning mechanism is is set to its lowest number and replaced. For the Anniversary Graphic, it's something like 6 turns, tehn re-set the tension counter to '0'.

Have you considered contacting Fred Lustig (Reno, NV). Check Graflex.org for his contact information. Hopefully his health is still good enough that he can help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Post the question at graflex.org. Bert and others with lots of experience post there and freely answer questions.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've taken mine apart, governer (sp?) and all. It is tedious and scary but I was able to get it all back together with the aid of the service manual and some real simple tools.

Turns out all I needed really was to lube the governer and roller bearings with graphite. You won't need to do much more than remove several screws for this.

If it's the tension spring that regulates the governer between slow and fast shutter speeds, I think you could find a similar spring or even cut one down and make new ends with some pliers.

Graflex.org will help you much more, and the manuals are pretty easy to find online now. It's worthwhile to have your speed's focal plane shutter working. So handy, it's the major reason I use mine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fred Lustig in Nevada and Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain are the people I've used in the past. Fred is a whiz at Graflex related stuff and bought up all of Graflex's inventory when they closed shop a number of years back. Ken Ruth has repaired insanely obscure fp shutters for me and has repaired Speed Graphic shutters as well and is meticulous and slow and sort of expensive, but he will do the job right. Both guys are highly recommended.
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone!
    And I'll being saying "thanks" everytime I use it in thte future, too.
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i know this is an old post, but i just wanted to let everyone know that i called Fred lustig today and spoke to his wife. she stated that Fred is doing well and still accepting work. i plan on sending him my speed graphic 4X5 in the coming week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin