Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,277   Online: 821

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm new to LF so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I need a good, cheap filter holder for my LF lenses. Since many seem to have NO threads on them, I assume there is some other way to get a filter in front of the lens. In a few books I have seen examples of clamp on gel and "cokin style" filter holders, but there have been no brand names associated!

Any help? I already have several Cokin A filters (hey, I'm cheap). So anything that takes them would be a BIG help. I could also move to the P size.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, I use an old adjustable filter holder made by Kodak. It is spring loaded, designed to take the 3" wratten filters and clamps to the lens. It is old, probably not made anymore but may still be found used in camera stores.. Lee also makes a cheap 3"/4" filter holder for lenses up to 82mm, I think it is $37 at B&H.

The Lee system is very good, but in general it requires a filter thread to mount onto. There is a push-on version which fits my 150mm Nikkor SW, which has a 95mm thread, and you can certainly get custom push-on adapters made for smaller lenses, but they won't be cheap.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Robert it seems to me you are using one of the graphic cameras, crown graphic or speed graphic. These cameras use the old type VI or VII filters which are the slip on kind. These are found usually in photo swap meets, or E bay. Nobody that I know manufactures these types of filters new. I doubt the Lee filter system would work, since your lenses have too small a diameter, the Lee slip on base is quite wide. Before you buy it, try it!

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JHannon @ Sep 11 2002, 01:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Robert, I use an old adjustable filter holder made by Kodak. It is spring loaded, designed to take the 3" wratten filters and clamps to the lens. It is old, probably not made anymore but may still be found used in camera stores.. Lee also makes a cheap 3"/4" filter holder for lenses up to 82mm, I think it is &#036;37 at B&H.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    I use a similar system, if not exactly the same. It&#39;s made by calumet and is still available.
    After trying several different approaches, this seems to be the best for my needs. It fits all of my lenses with the exception of my 250mm Wide Field Ektar, who&#39;s diameter is too large for this spring system. In that case, 4 loops of masking tape behind the lens work just fine.
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is a Lee holder that uses rubber bands to attach to the lens and will suit a wide range of barrel sizes. VERY cheap too&#33;&#33; I think its designed for use with gels but may be suitable for regular filters (Lee/Hitech etc) too

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin