Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,275   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which format do you use most?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There do exist corresponting metric sizes in Europe:
    9x12cm
    13x18cm
    18x24cm

5x7" will fit into a 13x18cm-holder. All other combinations do not work and require a the corresponding holders. The metric film holders do have the same exterior dimensions but different guides for the film.

9x12cm is still popular in Germany (if one can claim this within the niche of sheet film at all) . IMO, 9x12cm has a more pleasant aspect ratio than 4x5" and fits better in most paper sizes, too.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tschmid @ Sep 16 2002, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>There do exist corresponting metric sizes in Europe:
    9x12cm
    13x18cm
    18x24cm</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Just to add a clarifying note to this - these sizes might exist in continental Europe, but not in the UK. At least I&#39;ve never seen or heard of them being available here (unless by special order).

We use the same common sizes as the US - 4"x5", 8"x10". I don&#39;t know anywhere that stocks 5"x7" though. In fact even 8"x10" is generally a non-stock item. I get mine from Calumet (KJP), and it generally takes 10 days or so on back-order. 4"x5" is the only LF film size that you can typically walk into a photographic shop and buy off the shelf (or rather, out of the fridge).

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Adding to the confusion :

I get both sets of sizes in Norway. Sweden and Denmark are almost 100% metric - as the UK is "imperial" - but Norway gets caught in between.
    I have learned the hard way that you cannot use 13x18cm film in 5x7" holders - except that some of the time you can. By a staggering coincidence, the 13x18cm film is pretty close to being 5x7 inches, while 5x7" film is considerably smaller&#33;

I now have holders for both sizes - as well as 4x5" and 9x12cm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is why I figured I would start out with 4x5. That and the cheap availability of lenses thanks to the old press cameras.

That said, as I have delved in to contact printing, I find myself browsing ads for 8x10s and even thinking things like "Hmmmmmmmm........that old Corona banquet camera would be nice...."

I am obviously a sick man....

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think of 8x10" as my standard large-format format, but in the city, I&#39;m really finding a niche for 4x5". It is no harder to carry than a 35mm SLR with a couple of lenses in a bag and a small tripod, and a folding viewing hood and more compact package are big advantages in dodgy areas where you might not want to be standing alone under a darkcloth or in crowds where there could be people wandering around who might just find some unattended piece of equipment interesting.

I&#39;m almost ramped up to start using the 11x14". I&#39;ve got some cheap outdated film on the way to experiment with and two S&S filmholders (that together cost more than the camera) on order.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mostly 8x10, but 4x5 when I feel like point and shoot&#33;
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I find myself doing a bit more 5x7 lately. It seems to be a fair compromise so far as print size (contacts) and size/weight of the camera. The 4x5 works very well, but the prints are a tad small for my bad eyes, and the 8x10 yields excellent prints but is a bit cumbersome to carry around. I haven&#39;t abandoned 35mm or 120 film, I just don&#39;t have to limit my choices anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin