Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 681

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Something strange happened in customs too - the value was clearly stated at £1350, yet I was only taxed 23% of £210. I have no idea where they got that figure from, but I'm not complaining.

Ole,

Surely, upon learning of the mistaken duty charge, you immediately notified the tax collectors of their grievous error and offered up the correct amount?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One would not use a Gandolfi Camera to record something as crude as a bout of fisticuffs, methinks...

Inside my camera was a little surprise: The obituary of Arthur Gandolfi, with a history of the firm!The only sports photography mentioned there was cricket matches and horse racing.

My camera seems to have been made in 1981, just before the brothers retired.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something strange happened in customs too - the value was clearly stated at £1350, yet I was only taxed 23% of £210. I have no idea where they got that figure from, but I'm not complaining.

The tripod is still on the way in a separate package. He offered me to take off £50 if I didn't want the tripod, which is a very cheap Gandolfi Minor tripod. So in a week or so I'll have two...
    That is odd, it's not like Customs to reduce their income! I had a quick look at exchange rates thinking they may have confused the GBP price with USD, EUR or NOK etc and could not see anything obvious that fits... Still, if Norwegian Customs are anything like UK Customs, they will probably arbitrarily re-assess the value of the tripod to £1,500 and charge you tax and duty on that...

Cheers, Bob.

What happened is probably very simple - the guy filling in the form put there a figure from a different package. Now if he wrote on the other form your figure someone else can be for a surprise... In a better case, he made the mistake just in your case. Happened to me too, with no correction after.

Shooter
    35mm

Gandolfi history

... Inside my camera was a little surprise: The obituary of Arthur Gandolfi, with a history of the firm! The only sports photography mentioned there was cricket matches and horse racing.
    My camera seems to have been made in 1981, just before the brothers retired.
    Dear Ole,
    My boyfriend owns an 8x10 Gandolfi. He went from Austria to England to fetch it (in the 1970s) and it was handed over personally by Fred Gandolfi. Unfortunately he did not understand a lot of Fred's English accent - He did not know me back then; I think I could have translated ;-)
    Anyway, I am now looking for a history of the Gandolfi cameras and what i have found is rather scarce. Do you think you could scan the obituary and mail it to me?
    Eva Maria from Austria

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ... yet I was only taxed 23% ...
    Wow. And not even one of your children? That used to be called robbery. Lucky they didn't take an axe and cut the thing in half.
    Jerold Harter MD

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anglomaniac View Post
    Dear Ole,
    My boyfriend owns an 8x10 Gandolfi. He went from Austria to England to fetch it (in the 1970s) and it was handed over personally by Fred Gandolfi. Unfortunately he did not understand a lot of Fred's English accent - He did not know me back then; I think I could have translated ;-)
    Anyway, I am now looking for a history of the Gandolfi cameras and what i have found is rather scarce. Do you think you could scan the obituary and mail it to me?
    Eva Maria from Austria
    Will do!

And BTW - I've got yet another one now: A Gandolfi Universal with 4x5" spring back. Comparing that with the newer ones, I understand why they used the name "Precision" for the later construction!
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Will do!

And BTW - I've got yet another one now: A Gandolfi Universal with 4x5" spring back. Comparing that with the newer ones, I understand why they used the name "Precision" for the later construction!
    so - how many do you have now?....

I am about to try to buy one today... IF you're not bidding on it...:rolleyes:

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    so - how many do you have now?....

I am about to try to buy one today... IF you're not bidding on it...:rolleyes:
    I'm not bidding on any more! Promise! - at least not this week...

I have - 3 1/2. A 5x4" Universal (probably some other size originally), a 7x5" Traditional, a 10x8" Traditional, and another 10x8" Traditional with some missing parts (that's the half).

and a 5x4" back for the 10x8", and incomplete 5x4", 5x7" and whole-plate backs for 10x8".
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I didn't get it....the smallest Gandolfi made..

aah well..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

looks qute...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin