Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,937   Online: 894

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

David,
    the film sheath is a solution designed by kodak, in fact, origional film sheaths can still be found often on Ebay, and that is where I got the design for these that I had made. The film emulsion will sit less than 1mm away from the position of the origional glass plate surface. Wether or not this will make a difference in the final sharpness I honestly do not yet know. But I would say that after some test negatives, the results should be obvious. But I think the shim idea might be a good one. I'll check in with the shop tomorrow for some shims just in case. In fact, I could do a test right from the get go, same subject, same focus, one with shims one without.

As I placed my order for my sheet film through Webphota in Berlin, the owner told me that he could supply me with glass plates at just about any size, with a speed equal to ASA 100. I must admit it would be interesting to give a glass plate a try, but for practical reasons, I'm looking to stick with film.
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It would be interesting to try glass plates if you can get them for a reasonable price--perfect flatness and no additional glass required for contact printing. I looked into this once, and discovered that 8x10" T-Max 100 plates are astoundingly costly (just quickly checking B&H, they have some 9x12cm TMX plates in stock, almost two years out of date, at $300 for a box of 36--meter carefully&#33. How much is Webphota asking?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Well, I do not have the price for the glass plates, but I received my "cut to order" film (NP27 ASA400 / 295 X 375mm) in 2 days, at a total cost of 91.00 Euros for 25 sheets (that's including our very high 16% sales tax and shipping, the film price was 80,43 Euros).

I also picked up my custom machined baseplate for the camera. So it can finally be mounted to the tripod. I was going to paint it black, and may still, but when mounting and unmounting it to my Ries head, it's going to get scratched up anyway. my film sheaths have just received their coat of primer and will be painted black tonight.

I mounted a commercial Ektar 300 on the camera, just to see what would happen, and I just don't get it. Focused at infinity, this lens covers 12X15"! I've always used it on my 8X10" camera without any vignetting, but 12X15? I'll have to shoot a piece of film with this lens mounted to see the results myself, but according to the GG, it covers, as does my Schneider Angulon 210mm.

Here is a pic of the base plate I had made. BTW, the machinist had an apprentice do the work, and he didn't charge me a thing for it! He's also made Lensboards for my Wista without charging as well. This time I was ready for him though, and I gave him a framed photo as a "Thank You".
    - William Levitt

Here is another view. The plate fits in an existing "Hole" in the base of the camera, and is held in place by the origional clips, which means it could be removed anytime without damaging the camera. On the top of the plate there is a second disk, 10cm in diameter and 1 cm thick with a 3/8 inch thread for mounting.
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    William, I was wondering how your adventures with this camera are coming along..
    --Aaron
    art is about managing compromise

Hi Aaron,

Well, I have painted the film sheaths and have received my film (NP27 ASA 400) from Wephota in Berlin. I ran a rudimentery film test last week using my 12" Commercial Ektar (which is mounted on a Sinar lensboard). The reason I used this lens was because the cabinet maker still has my origional lensboard in his workshop as a pattern. The good news is, he has made 4 lensboards and is in the process of hand fitting them to the camera as I write this post.

Loading the 12X15" film was quite an experience. The film from Wephota was cut to order, and surprisingly, had no notching to indicate the emulsion side of the film. Using my vast experience as a photographer, I GUESSED which way the film should be loaded, and luckily, was right. Just the handling of these large pieces of film, compared to 8X10" is rather intimidating the first time around.

I exposed the film, making a rather artistic shot of my dining room drenched in the soft light of a grey, overcast German winter sky. 30 seconds at F45. Developed in ABC pyro by inspection and pulled from the soup at 9:45 seconds.

I discovered to minute light leaked in the wooded darkslide, which were easily repaired. Otherwise, all went well. Hopefully I'll have my finished lensboards back in a couple of days, and can then mount my Ross / Dagor f 7.7 480mm and my new Apo Ronar 600mm lenses.

- William Levitt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    William, the Ukranian company Svema carries 30x40 film, it might fit perfectly. I have been trying to find out more info about cameras in this format (like a russian 30x40) and have come up with nothing. I wonder who uses all these unusual formats in Eastern Europe?
    http://filmmaker.iatp.org.ua/svema_e.htm
    art is about managing compromise

I have only met one other person, a photographer from England, who has this format camera. I believe I mentioned buying film from Wephota (near Magdeburg in Germany) for a very reasonable price of EUR 80,00 for 25 sheets of ASA400 film, cut to order.

I just got back from my cabinet makers shop. He made 4 new lesboards, three of which are blanks, and the fourth has been fitted with the retaining ring from my Apo-Ronar 600mm lens.
    Just for information, he charged me EUR 50,00 for the work. All handmade with a beautiful finish.
    Here is how they turned out...
    - William Levitt

I have only met one other person, a photographer from England, who has this format camera. I believe I mentioned buying film from Wephota (near Magdeburg in Germany) for a very reasonable price of EUR 80,00 for 25 sheets of ASA400 film, cut to order.

I just got back from my cabinet makers shop. He made 4 new lesboards, three of which are blanks, and the fourth has been fitted with the retaining ring from my Apo-Ronar 600mm lens.
    Just for information, he charged me EUR 50,00 for the work. All handmade with a beautiful finish.
    Here is how they turned out...
    - William Levitt

and so...
    - William Levitt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin