Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,030   Online: 1278

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had the Zone 6 heavy mutha and sold it and got the smaller one. Indoors I put some slippers on its spiked feet that I made from tennis balls. Out in the wind you make any tripod more stable by taking a spike from your tent and driving it into the ground and then set your tripod right over it. Now get a bungi cord and hook it to the stake and to the bottom of the tripod making sure you have a lot of downward pull on the tripod. The tripod should not move at that point. You can also take a sleeping bag bag and fill it with rocks and hang it from that same bungi cord. Not as stable and you have to go find you sleeping bag when you are through as the wind has most likely blown it away. But in really rocky ground, it is an alternative. I have a canvas triangle that I made that I hang under the head on the legs that I keep my stuff that is not in the bag. That is generally everything because the bag I have is so shitty that everything has to come out for me to use my stuff.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Where are you gonna post it? What is the proper section?

lee\c

I have both the Gitzo CF and a Ries...the ries with legs that come apart so it packs small.

At first glance, the Ries seems a lot less sturdy because of those jointed legs, but interestingly once the legs are out and the camera is on, it is very steady.

In fact I find myself using it a lot more than the Gitzo because it seems significantly less prone to vibration, and is actually easier to maneuver in the field. The downsides are the weight compared to a CF Gitzo, and I (found out the hard way) you have to check it at the airport because of the spiked feet.

dgh

David G Hall

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin