Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,157   Online: 843

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have my new 8x10 view camera ariving soon and then it will be in storage for a few months. What is the best method of storing a view camera? Mine is a field camera, so do I store it fully compressed in the compact box which it makes? My main concern is the bellows. Will the bellows wear more if it is fully compressed or be less likely to wear when it's partially uncompressed. Seems like a silly question. I would think partially uncompressed would be the best way. Thanks!

Store it with the bellows compressed (making sure the bellows are nice and dry, especially if you just were out in the rain, etc.). On my 4x5, I find I really do have to store it compressed if I want to use wide angle lenses. If I store it stretched out somewhat, it's harder for me to use the short focal lengths when I go to compress the bellows. My 8x10 doesn't seem to have that problem, but it's much older. I still keep it with the bellows compressed when it's not on a tripod, however.
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Store it with the bellows compressed in a room at normal temperature and humidity. Dont even think of leaving it in a storage place, keep it at home and you should be ok.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would store it compressed and closed up to keep the dust out and also because it takes up less space that way (in my small Manhattan apartment).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Store it compressed and closed up. Otherwise the bellows will get dry and dusty. It also gives it more protection if you a re a klutz like me and drop something on it. For extra protection, I keep mine in a suitcase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cool! Thanks everyone.

Stored? I've got mine setup sticking out the window. It may be boring trying to get the same scene right all the tiime but I need the pratice. With the weather the way it is this time of year most of my use until spring will come from the window cam.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin