Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,452   Online: 878

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jim - You answered a question that had been festering the back of my mind! Looking at the camera, I figures the only thing keeping it from being somewhat portable (considering it weighs a ton....) is the fact that the rail is capped and the camera can't come off it.

Obviously this can be changed. So, how did you remove the caps and did you replace them with some form of stop or just "live dangerously"?

BTW - I think I am setting myself up for a hernia.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

You think the camera is heavy? The case is close to 9lbs I think-( EMPTY-)) I hear the porter is supposed to sleep in it while you use the camera-) Not long after I got the camera I borrowed a 4" or something lens. I couldn't get infinity focus. It was very close but not quite. When I checked Calumet still sold a recessed board for it but the cost of the board and shipping almost exceeded what I paid for the camera. Would have made more sense to find a short version for that money.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ Jan 15 2003, 08:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>That said I&#39;m sure someone has made a 20mm lens out there for 4x5.... </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Slightly off topic...

The widest lenses ever made were Goertz Hypergon. A 30mm would have covered 4x5", but the shortest made was 60mm...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The end caps are held on by an allen screw. it may be hard to see if the head is filled with crud. I removed the caps and carefully drilled and tapped out the hole to hold a small thumb screw which I could tighten with my fingers. Carefully slide the standards off each end to be able to leave the tripod bracket on the rail.

Yes these cameras are heavy and awkward to use in the field. But they take the same quality of image as a camera that costs &#036;2500. For me when I started out the price of the camera afforded me the opportunity to buy two very nice lenses.

"Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Amen to that&#33; I always find it a bit hard to imagine paying &#036;2,500 for a metal rod, two metal frames and some cloth. Even if it is really high quality. Must be the miser in me.

I would also worry about damage. I know that the CC-401 is tough. Hard to damage. Some of those small portable monorails seem a bit fragile. I&#39;d hate to break one of them&#33;
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin