Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,020   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ive got an OLD 8x10 studio camera...help identify?

So I run a digital studio in Orange Park FL, and when we acquired the buisness 6 years ago, it came with all interior fixings. In the attic was an antique 8x10 large format camera... it has a few markings, and appears to be in decent condition.

From what I can discern, it is a Wollensak-Rochester No.6 ? Does this sound correct? It also has a "beach multi-focal series A " lens on it with the inscription
    "beach multi-focal series a focus 16" no 487 made by wollensak-rochester usa pat appl'd"

the aperature appears to still work, with the action being very smooth.
    the stops are labeled 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 11.7

overall the whole camera is in pretty good condition. can I still use this camera? the rear slide mechanism still works but there is definatley something missing...
    how much is something like this worth? I can post pictures if anyone is interested.. thanks for your time... -b

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Post pictures. It would be interesting.

If it's all there, it's usable. The bellows may have leaks, but that can be patched if it's not too bad, or replaced if necessary.

The lens may be worth something, since it's a historic soft-focus lens. The number series may refer to the soft focus settings, rather than the stops. I forget if the Beach Series A is an adjstable soft focus. There is probably a description of the lens in the documents on cameraeccentric.com.

The camera is not likely to be worth as much, because shipping is usually difficult with these studio cameras, so it's worth more if it's, say, in New York City where there is more local demand for unusual cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avenfoto View Post
    S

From what I can discern, it is a Wollensak-Rochester No.6 ? Does this sound correct? It also has a "beach multi-focal series A " lens on it with the inscription
    "beach multi-focal series a focus 16" no 487 made by wollensak-rochester usa pat appl'd"
    That's the lens. The camera likely has a plate of some sort to.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pictures would be helpful. Absolutely useable. That Wollensak Beach 16" is a very desireable lens. The numbers are the aperture scale and I've yet to find the literature that describes the wierd system but you would find 11.7 = f4.5, 11 = f5.6, 10 = f8, 9 = f11, 8 = f16, 7 = f22, 6 = f32

Hard to make any $$ with it because they are from an era when the value of time spent is quite different from now.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps lenses designed for Florida were called "Beach"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You are probabably missing the filmholders, which are inserted behind the ground glass. Post photos...

In general, American cameras will have large front frames and wood rails, the front hinged so it swings up, the back rail (if present) removeable. Brand names are Gundlach Korona, Ansco, Kodak, etc. European and Asian cameras are smaller and lighter, and generally designed around the English style; foldable, with a large diameter tripod rail mount, and built-in extensions, much thinner and lighter. These extensions are geared and "stack" under the camera into a compact base when not extended.

Both types are usable, but the American style is definitely less portable. I am attaching photos of two examples: a half-plate Japanese Asanuma King 1 and an American 5x7 Gundlach Korona View.

Asanuma Shokai King 1 (Japanese half-plate)

5x7 Gundlach Korona View (American)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having just purchased a Beach Multi-Focal lens, I have some information given to me. The 16 in. No. 7 model covers 11x14. It says, "For those who prefer a soft focus effect in portraiture, the Series A produces a pleasing quality that almost entirely eliminates retouching and the smoothening processes.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm

photos...

attached are the requested photos...

badge1_lores is on the front of the body
    badge2_lores is on the side of the focus mechanism
    lens2hot_lores i took the curves way up to bring out the engraving on the lens itself..
    lens3_lores shows the aperature mechanisms (and quite a bit of reflections, its been a long day..)

and the rest are fairly self-explanatory...

the bellows definatley leak, as there are holes in the majority of flex corners

thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails badge1_lores.jpg   badge2_lores.jpg   full_lores.jpg   lens1_lores.jpg   lens2_hot_lores.jpg  

rear_lores.jpg   profile_lores.jpg   pro2_lores.jpg   lens3lores.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So the camera is a Century No. 6.

The back looks like it's designed to take other backs of different sizes and has some sort of movable masks for taking multiple shots on a single sheet of film.

To make it usable, I suspect someone would just remove the back and build a back to take modern filmholders. The maximum size is probably 11x14".

The lens looks great. You could get good money for it on eBay or here in the classifieds.

The camera is going to be a hard sell, since it doesn't have a terribly workable back, is heavy to ship, and needs bellows replacement and a certain amount of general restoration. You could keep it around for ornamental purposes, either on the stand, or some people turn them into coffee tables by putting them on the floor with a sheet of glass on top.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That back looks like it was designed to take 4 vertical shots on a sheet of 5x7 film. This "multi-shot" approach was quite popular for portrait photographers. A way of economizing film use. More common was the sliding 5x7 back that took 2 images per sheet of film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin