Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Sinar "Rapid-adapter" sliding rollfilm adapter manual

Hello

I bought a sliding rollfilm adapter on ebay a few days ago and its arrived. It is made by Sinar although they dont seem to recognise anything thats not currently in production I found a small drawing of it here: http://king-platypus.com/sinar/norma/accessories.html

It is marked 620 but googling that dosent come up with anything for me. It says to see page 10 but the scans on that page stop at 8. There also seems to be a dedicated manual according to the later Norma manual but i cant find that either.

Ill probably manage without the manual since its pretty straight forward in its use but it would be nice to have just so i dont miss anything or end up breaking it.

If anyone has a manual or any insights about the back i woudl be very greatful.

Marcus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it's the same one I have, there's a lever on the bottom with a knob, and you have to raise the lever to slide from the viewing side to the shooting side. Also, on the shooting side, you need to use an older, non-metering 4x5" back, if you want a groundglass back on the right side, otherwise it won't work in the horizontal position.

Also, you might look at the stops on the rod used for sliding from one side to the other to make sure they are in the right place, if it's not working properly. Once you see how the stops work, the operation of the back should be clear.

I also think this back doesn't work with the F, because the lever on the back interferes with the swing lever on the rear standard, or something along those lines.

I use it on my 8x10" P with a Norma-era 8x10 to 4x5" reducing back as shown in the attachment.

I've also attached a grid overlay that can be printed out on overhead projector film for the groundglass on the left side. I adapted it from one of Dave Parker's overlays on www.satinsnowglass.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SinarSlidingBack.jpg   5x5GridOverlay.jpg  
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you David. I dont think mine is the same as yours. Here is a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=003

As you can see it looks different from the one in your picture. But exactly like the one on the king-platypus site from the link in my first post.

The tab to the left(bottom) is for unlocking it when it has been slid to the viewing position, and the lever on the right seems to be for unlocking the graflok holder. I have no clue what the silver thing on the left is for, maybe for the auto-shutter but I dont know as ive never seen one.

I use it on a Norma and it works on both vertical and horizontal. My only gripe with it is that it doesnt seem to lock in the taking position, and the weight of the rollholder is enough for it to slip down a bit if its mounted for horizontal taking. This is a minor problem though as i can mount it the other way, so that it slides downwards.

I wonder if it was designed this way or if it was supposed to be held up by friction and stuff has got worn over the years.
    Last edited by marcuspajp; 08-17-2007 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. That's different from mine. It looks like it takes the small Graflex and probably RB67 backs. The silver thing on the left is probably for the auto-shutter. It should stop down the aperture when the back is in the shooting position.

I suspect there's a stop and it might need some adjustment to hold the back in place in the horizontal position.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marcus,

I have this one. It's for the Sinar Norma, and takes Graflex 6x6 or 6x9 Wind-knob type film backs. It does take a metal cable, which hooks to the Norma shutter in the front.

I would recommend starting with the Norma Instruction Manual, just about everything you need to know is in there. BTW the Graflex backs need to be modified slightly, because the outer shell has to fit backwards in the sliding holder. See the orientation of the wind knob, and you'll see what I mean.

It's a great system. With the Norma cables attached, and a Norma Auto lens attached, it's -nearly- as fast to use as a reflex camera. I -love- it.

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuspajp View Post
    Hello

I bought a sliding rollfilm adapter on ebay a few days ago and its arrived. It is made by Sinar although they dont seem to recognise anything thats not currently in production I found a small drawing of it here: http://king-platypus.com/sinar/norma/accessories.html

It is marked 620 but googling that dosent come up with anything for me. It says to see page 10 but the scans on that page stop at 8. There also seems to be a dedicated manual according to the later Norma manual but i cant find that either.

Ill probably manage without the manual since its pretty straight forward in its use but it would be nice to have just so i dont miss anything or end up breaking it.

If anyone has a manual or any insights about the back i woudl be very greatful.

Marcus
    Marcus

HI My name Is Ron Gulsvig and have been Sinar Noma owner since the late 60's. Have you gone to the Sinar web page and serched for the manual on Your back usually they will have the manual as a PDF. just run a serch and they should have it

let me know how you make out. nice piece of gear ahead of it's time.

ROn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you Ron.

I dont know if I have done something wrong while searching but I can never come up with anything thats is not currently in production from the Sinar website.

On another note I have recently recieved a Norma shutter with cables. And Dan is right, it is almost as fast as a reflex camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marcus,

The Sinar factory made Norma lenses in two types. Semi-Automatic, which had spring-loaded aperture mechanisms (my personal preference) and lenses which operated directly, both types utilize the Sinar "rabbit ears" aperture cable. Both types work well, I have some of each. Set the aperture on the lens precisely, whilst working behind the camera. The whole point of all this specialized Norma "stuff", is speedy operation, from the back of the camera. No moving back and forth to set anything.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I only have one lens with "rabbit ears". Its my Symmar 210/370, but it has a normal shutter that I set to T when using the Norma shutter.

Ive never seen a sping loaded norma mount lens. My other lenses are factory mounted with a small extension tube to allow it to clear the shutter (SA 121) or the more modern DBM-mount. Both these types require me to move to the front of the camera. But its quite fast anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bumping up an OLD topic!

Marcus, did you ever find a manual for the rapid sliding back? I have been having some issues with backs movement between ground glass view and rollback view (I use this with Horseman 6x12 back).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin