Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Full Plate film holder size

Does anyone know the exact outside dimension of a full plate film holder?
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You made to narrow it down to a maker and time period. I have 3 film holders of two different sizes and styles and 6 plate holders of 3 different sizes and two different styles.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    You made to narrow it down to a maker and time period. I have 3 film holders of two different sizes and styles and 6 plate holders of 3 different sizes and two different styles.
    No, there was a standardized 1/1 pl holder (like 4x5, 5x7/13x18/half plate, 8x10/18x24) -- but alas I no longer have any.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The closest thing to a "standard" whole-plate film holder was the Kodak/Rochester, at least in the United States. There may well have been a different English/French standard. When you get into bookform holders for glass plates, the standards concept goes completely out the window. DDS-style glass plate holders might also conform to the same Rochester/Kodak standard in the US, and the UK/Fr standard elsewhere. There's probably also a yet again different standard in Germany.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My Rittreck FP holders were probably some of the last made. They measure about 7-3/4" wide or just over 195mm width. They are 10-11/16" long or about 271mm not including the dark slides. I wouldn't take these as perfect measurements but should be pretty close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rittreck FH.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Rittreck WP holders are considerably different from the Eastman holders. In particular, the distance to the rib lock makes the Rittreck holders too long to fit in Eastman backs, or at least the Eastman backs that I have on hand.

Rob, why do you ask? The best answer for your purposes may vary depending on what you're trying to fit to what.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 08-27-2007 at 10:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Rittreck FH fit my old Century full plate but i never shot them in that camera. They appear to have the same t-lock dimensions.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    Does anyone know the exact outside dimension of a full plate film holder?
    -Rob
    Rob what are the specs on the new Ebony full plate cameras?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Rob what are the specs on the new Ebony full plate cameras?
    Ebony built its camera back to accept my Lotus holders, which were based on Lotus' 8x10 holder design. That means their T-dimension is 0.260 inch, which a number of vintage 6.5x8.5 holders also used.

Outside width of the Lotus holder is 198.0mm. Distance from taped end to start of the lock rib is 233.4mm. Thickness is 14.3mm.

Fotoman Camera is making its holders very slightly smaller in width and distance to lock rib and also using 0.260 inch for the T-dimension. That way they will be compatible with the Ebony as well as a number of vintage cameras.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin