Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 982

Shooter
    Medium Format

Will be in China soon where can I find...

Greetings to you LF users. I'll be heading to China in another week. I own a Shen Hao 4X5 view camera. I would love to expand my lens selection. Anybody have any dealing in china with a photoo store? I will be traveling from Hong Kong to Shanghai and many parts in between. Please let me know. Also any suggestions on great picture taking opportunities. I love to wander around but am there on business so my time will be very limited. So if you know of any good spots, please share them with me. Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So why not buy a lens in NJ before you leave?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want Chinese camera stores, go look on the Shen-Hao website for a list of their dealers in China. It is my understanding, however, that with very few exceptions, the lenses you will find in China are all made by big-name makers in Japan and Germany. I would not go looking to find classic LF glass used in China- most of that has been bought here on Ebay in the last five years, at premium collector prices.

As far as places to go photograph, not too far (a maybe 2 hour or so bus ride) from Shanghai there is a famous town on the edge of a lake that is sometimes referred to as the Venice of China - it is a charming medieval town with many scenic canals. It is called ZhouZhuang, outside Suzhou. From a travel blog I just read, it sounds like it is becoming quite touristy, but still worth a visit. I have read elswhere because of the strange bus schedule they run from Shanghai that it is worth overnighting in ZhouZhuang.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also another canal town in the same area called Tong-Li that is smaller and also very beautiful. That area is full of towns on the canal.
    You have to pay admission to go and walk around inside but it's usually quite cheap. Also in Suzhou there are two gardens that are worth seeing. One called, "The Master of the Nets" and another garden called, "The Humble Administrators Garden".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The only camera stores I have visited in China are in Beijing, and as others have said, there is not much in the way of LF -- or indeed serious cameras generally. There is a big market for top-of-the-line new gear, but I've never seen (or heard of) half-decent second-hand gear at low prices.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You will find an area on Hong Kong Island that has the best deals you will find in that region. Do some looking around before you go to inform yourself of what good prices are for the lens you want.

You will find that anything is negotiable... except on already reduced camera gear.

Many are reputable dealers and you will more or less know them when you walk in the store.

If you want to shop prices, you can, because they are all very close to one another.

The shop I liked was on Victoria blvd. If I remember the name, I will post it.

Keep in mind that the good gear comes from Japan and Germany. You won't get chinese prices on non chinese goods.

Best of luck.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    BTW, if you want suggestions of places to photograph, send me a pm.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have lived in Hong Kong for 12 years. I can tell you that, without exception, it has been my experience that all vintage or LF camera gear is more expensive here than in the U.S., U.K., Europe or most other places. I find it cheaper to buy stuff from Badger, Roger White, KEH, eBay, etc. and pay the shipping, than to buy locally.

That said, the two main areas for photographers are Stanley Street in Central on Hong Kong Island (not much LF equipment, but some film for 4x5) and the Kimberley Road area in Kowloon (lots of vintage cameras and lenses, but IMHO way overpriced).

On Stanley Street, Photo Scientific has a good reputation:

Address: G/F., No. 6, Stanley Street, Central, Hong Kong
    Phone No.: (852) 2525 0550 / 2522 1903
    Fax No.: (852) 2810 6917
    Homepage: www.yp.com.hk/photoscientific
    Other homepage: www.photoscientific.biz.com.hk
    Email: photopoon@netvigator.com
    Business Hours: Monday - Saturday 9:00am - 7:00pm
    Sundays & P.H. Closed

In Kowloon, try:

David Chan Company
    Tel (852) 2723 3886
    Fax (852) 2311 2025
    Email ToHang@netvigator.com
    Address Shop 15, Champagne Court, 16 Kimberley Rd., (Next To Mirama Hotel) Kowloon, Hong Kong.

By the way, although I also own a Shen Hao bought directly from the factory in Shanghai, I know nothing about mainland photo shops other than I've heard there is a big camera shopping area in Guangzhou ( 2 hours by direct train from Kowloon). Pick up a photography magazine in Guangzhou and there would be address for the shopping area. You might also try the Ace Index for China ([url]http://www.acecam.com/china.html).

Finally, I just found this list online at (http://www.hkphotographer.com/supplier/camera.html). It may be useful.

Cheerpower Camera & Audio
    5, Queen Victoria Stree, Central
    36 Jardine's Bazaar, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2877 1511, 5369 8822
    Business Time: 1000-1900

Chung Pui Photo Supply
    G/F., 40 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Business Time: (Closed on Sunday)

Everbest Photo Supplies Co., Ltd.
    G/F., 27 & 28 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2523 6916, 2523 4708
    Business Time: 0900-1900 (Main Shop Closed on Sunday)

Foto Photo Supplies Co.
    G20 Hung Hom Sq., 37-39 Ma Tau Wei Rd., Hung Hom Kowloon
    Tel: 2363 0179
    Business Time: 1130 - 2000

Falcon Eyes Ltd
    1/F., F82 Hung Hom Sq., 37-39 Ma Tau Wei Rd., Hung Hom Kowloon
    Tel: 2363 3620
    Business Time: 1130 - 2000

Kinefoto Ltd.
    G/F., 66 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2523 2087, 2524 6249
    Business Time: 0900 - 1900 (Closed on Sunday)

Kowloon Photo Service
    G/F., 5 Woo Sung St., Yau Ma Tim, Kowloon
    Tel: 2384 9302
    Business Time: 1100-2100

Kwong Tai Photo Supplies Co., Ltd.
    G/f., 32 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2522 8648
    Business Time: 1000-1900(Closed on Sunday)

Lung Cheung Photo Supplies
    G/F., 64 Argyle St., Mongkok, Kowloon
    Tel: 2396 1771
    Business Time: 0930-2230 (closed on Sunday)

Man Shing Photo Supplies Co.
    106 Sai Yeung Choi ST., Mongkok, Kowloon
    Tel: 2396 2996
    Business Time: 1000-2200

Miramar 相機音響公司
    G/F., 25 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Business Time: 1000-1900

Mongkok Photo Supplies Co.
    G/f., 85-87 Fa Yuen St., Mong Kok, Kowloon
    Tel: 2391 5451
    Business Time: 1000-2200

Photo Scientific Appliances Ltd.
    G/F., 6 Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2522 9979
    Business Time: 0900-1900 (Closed on Sunday)

Princess Photo supplies
    55-59 Avenida Infante d Henrique Macau
    Tel 575959/555959 Fax : 592348

Salon Camera & Radio Co.
    G/F., 3 Lchang St., Tsim Sha Tsuim Kowloon
    Tel: 2376 0906
    Business Time: 1000-2000 (Closed on Sunday)

Union Photo Supplies Ltd
    13 Queen Victoria St., Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2526 6281
    Business Time: 0900-1900 (Closed on Sunday)

Wing Shing Photo Supplies Co.
    66 Sai Yeung Choi ST., Mongkok, Kowloon
    Tel: 2396 6881, 2369 6961
    Business Time: 1000-2000

I hope that helps. Have a great trip. As to things to image, you'll never run out.

Best wishes,

Craig

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fabulous post Craig,

Thanks!

I shopped at CheerPower on Victoria and picked up my Mamiya from them, they are are on Victoia.

While in Kowloon I stoped at several and was able to buy film, but their prices were no better than others. Some of the used gear was sold under the heading of "You've got to be kidding!" kinda prices.

The street market there was a fabulous place for photography however!

R
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin