Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,802   Online: 832

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I finally remembered to stop into the local Walmart and ask about getting some cloth to make a nice big dark cloth. Funny thing was I didn't have to explain to the lady what a dark cloth was. She knew and found me a nice black cloth that was on sale. 3 meters cost me a total of less then C$7 or I guess $5 US. It's some sort of man made cloth and you wouldn't want a suit made out of it but it seem light tight. Black on the outside lined with something on the inside. I'm going to double it over and make something big enough for any camera I might dream of. I got the impression I wasn't the first looking to make a dark cloth.

Sounds good. I've been on the look out for a replacement for a while, though I haven't been trying too hard. Do they have a cloth section (like you'd find at a normal cloth/sewing store) or was this something packaged up? Thanks.
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

She cut me a piece off a roll. Bascially I wandered around looking lost until I found somebody to help me. I explained what I wanted and she dragged me over to the odds and ends section. Works great. Stopped the lens down to F/45 and it looked bright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's where I got my darkcloth. They were selling the 3 foot square pieces, so I bought 3 black and 1 white one. I made a sandwich, sewed them together, and am still using it. Having the white side makes a difference in the summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've actually decided to not seal the two ends together. It's long enough at 3metres[10 feet] that I can wrap everything up in it. Was going to use glue-))

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had my dark cloth made from ripstop nylon...black on one side, white on the other for the reflection of sunlight in the summer. I had two pairs of velcro strips about 6 inches long the width of my leather camera handle sewn to the center of one of the sides. When setting up, it is a simple matter of passing two pieces of velcro through the handle and fastening to it's opposite componant. This has worked well for over fifteen years now.

Another idea that I have seen and like a lot is to fashion one side of the darkcloth into a sewn together circle with elastic on the interior of the circle. The circle would need to be large enough to slip around the perimeter of the camera back when it is stretched and would then grip the camera when relaxed. This seems to be a good idea in that it would do a better job of securing the sides of the darkcloth then my arrangement does.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here in Vancouver we have a store that sells supplies for making outdoor gear. I was able to pickup black ripstop nylon with a white neoprene layer on one side (I'm guessing it was intended for rain coats, something we tend to need here...). It works like a charm - light tight and light weight. The only problem is it doesn't breathe too well - last summer in New Jersey it was like a sauna under there.
    Bill Laidley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Most fabric stores have a product called "black out cloth" that can be used as a layer in making curtains and draperies. That's what the Mrs. used when she made mine. Don't forget the drapery weights sewn into the corners.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

I don't think this is far afield enough to be its own thread, but...

I would be interested in hearing how people secure darkcloths to the camera, if you do, and about whether weights are a benefit or a detractor. I've heard both.

Just wondering.

dgh

David G Hall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin