Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,446   Online: 965

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

graflex home portrait help

I just recently got a graflex home portrait 5x7 camera, but the handle on it was replaced with a home made one, and I would like to put one on that's a little more substantial and closer to the original one. I've never seen an original one or image of one either. Does anyone out there have a home portrait with an original handle? Could you snap a few jpegs and send them to me? It would be very helpful.
    I just developed the first batch of film from it ,and it's going to be a great camera to work with. I'm shooting with a 10" f3.5 ross xpress lense, and the first shoots wer done wide open, which is how I hope to use it most. Geat look.
    Thanks! Jamie Young

Shooter
    35mm
    For a mere pittance, Bert Saunders of Graflex.org fame will fabricate a new handle for you. Go to graflex.org under the "reflex help" section. Bert's contact info is also called out in this .pdf file:

http://www.wphsociety.org/WPHS_XIII-06.pdf

Bert is the world's greatest by the way!!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    I just recently got a graflex home portrait 5x7 camera, but the handle on it was replaced with a home made one, and I would like to put one on that's a little more substantial and closer to the original one. ...Thanks! Jamie Young

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In general, if you need a handle for an older LF camera, dog collars do pretty well!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks
    I'm in contact with Bert, who is very helpful, but may not have an original handle template to work with. I still need to find out what I'm making or having made and need to find someone willing to take a few jpegs for me of an original. No doubt I could rig something up like the handle that it came with, but would rather do it right, and keep the original look and feel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss View Post
    For a mere pittance, Bert Saunders of Graflex.org fame will fabricate a new handle for you. Go to graflex.org under the "reflex help" section. Bert's contact info is also called out in this .pdf file:

http://www.wphsociety.org/WPHS_XIII-06.pdf

Bert is the world's greatest by the way!!

Jon

yeah, bert is the cat's meeeeow --
    he fabricated a recessed lensboard
    out of wood, and charged me very little ...

-john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    jamie,

my original 'home portrait' handle was in sad shape also. the original handle has a built up center section. it is ~ 1/4" thick at the ends and 3/8" in the center. i had a replica made at a leather repair shop. they did a nice job but i paid $$$ for it.

the original handle is attached with an 1/8" diameter brass rivet through the handle at one end and a leather loop at the other end. the leather loop is attached to the camera with two small brass rivets.

you will have to drill out the brass rivets.

i decided it would be much easier to re-attach the handle with brass (6-32) socket cap screws. these are available from mcmaster carr. i replaced the leather loop with a brass hoop that you can get from a hardware/restoration store.

i will forward a photo of the new handle on the camera in a couple of days. i don't have a digital camera with me now.

pete

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just e-mailed Bert Saunders, and he offered to make a new handle and attach it to the top of my Press Graflex (I'll ship the top to him) for a very reasonable price, and with considerable enthusiasm. He really seems to love restoring Graflex cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A graflex collector is willing to send soms jpegs as well and help me with it. I'll probably talk to Bert about it's construction then, as well as a bunch of other handles I need made. Thanks all for your help! I'm really enjoying shooting with the big slrs, and will finally have some time to do a lot of portraits with them this fall. Between finding the right lenses, holders, bag mags, etc, it's been a challenge to get everything together.

Jamie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    A graflex collector is willing to send soms jpegs as well and help me with it. I'll probably talk to Bert about it's construction then, as well as a bunch of other handles I need made. Thanks all for your help! I'm really enjoying shooting with the big slrs, and will finally have some time to do a lot of portraits with them this fall. Between finding the right lenses, holders, bag mags, etc, it's been a challenge to get everything together.

Jamie
    jamie,

i will look to see if I still have what's left of the original handle. if so, i can send it to you if you want it. it will give you an outline for sizing the handle.

pete

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I just e-mailed Bert Saunders, and he offered to make a new handle and attach it to the top of my Press Graflex (I'll ship the top to him) for a very reasonable price, and with considerable enthusiasm. He really seems to love restoring Graflex cameras.
    i wish i had known about bert earlier. it's great to have resources like him.

pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin