Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,535   Online: 1009

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linhof cameras

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    That's interesting - I have a Linhof Color monorail camera. The front standard on this is very similar if not the same as a Tech V. The front crank on it has stopped working. If the problem is with the gear track as you say, then would the front crank engage if I move standard up a bit?
    Yes, if that's the problem, that's the standard solution. You should be able to tell just by looking at it. If the wheel is turning, the standard isn't moving, and the track looks stripped at the bottom, then it's stripped. I think Frank Petronio posted over on the LF forum that his Tech has this issue, and he asked Martin about it (Marflex), and even he said that this is very common, and it's usually not worth the expense of replacing the track if you only have to lift the standard a little to get it to engage.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Yes, if that's the problem, that's the standard solution. You should be able to tell just by looking at it. If the wheel is turning, the standard isn't moving, and the track looks stripped at the bottom, then it's stripped. I think Frank Petronio posted over on the LF forum that his Tech has this issue, and he asked Martin about it (Marflex), and even he said that this is very common, and it's usually not worth the expense of replacing the track if you only have to lift the standard a little to get it to engage.
    I was afraid you'd say that - mine doesn't work regardless of where the standard is. The wheel doesn't turn either. Marflex quoted me $250.00 to fix it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    John I don't think that 2950.00 is a pipe dream at all for a master. I have sold a Tech V for much more.
    PBrooks

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    On the scary side, if you plan to look at used equipment, you might also ask about reasonable pricing. Someone over on the LF Forum posted this amazing auction. A $300,000 Linhof in someone's pipe dream.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Of course, you could also get a shenhao ($650, more movements than the technika) or tachihara (lighter, less movements) and sell it later if you really do like the format and still want a linhof. These things hold their values reasonably well..

'Course not everybody has the same budget, so if you're really a rich m**f**r go ahead and start out with the linhof. I did catch some Linhof envy today while out shooting with some other guys (mainly the rugged construction and the long extension, though I can use a bag bellows for very wide lenses on my shenhao which is a pain on a linhof).

In any case, hope you enjoy 4x5. It's very rewarding.
    Last edited by walter23; 10-13-2007 at 11:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think people get confused by the european use of the comma to denote cents. You'd think the comma in the wrong place (for thousands) would tip 'em off

Quote Originally Posted by PBrooks View Post
    John I don't think that 2950.00 is a pipe dream at all for a master. I have sold a Tech V for much more.
    PBrooks
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I was afraid you'd say that - mine doesn't work regardless of where the standard is. The wheel doesn't turn either. Marflex quoted me $250.00 to fix it.
    Oh, well. If it hasn't had a CLA, it might be worth it to send anyway. Martin will check everything, and will likely find things that need repair that you didn't notice were wrong, and the camera will come back improved in ways you didn't know could be improved. He's very thorough. It's not cheap, but for the work he actually does on the camera, it's worth it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, well. If it hasn't had a CLA, it might be worth it to send anyway. Martin will check everything, and will likely find things that need repair that you didn't notice were wrong, and the camera will come back improved in ways you didn't know could be improved. He's very thorough. It's not cheap, but for the work he actually does on the camera, it's worth it.
    Perhaps, however, as a monorail, this is a much simpler camera than a Technika.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Linhof cameras

I have owned a Linhof MT2000 for seven years and have used it quite extensively. Before that . I had the Linhof Color monorail. I have never
    regretted purchasing the MT2000 which cost about $3500 then. I
    personally like the ruggedness and precision of the movements. Most of my
    friends have Wisner wood 4x5's and while they are fine cameras with
    perhaps more versatile features (longer bellows and more movements),
    I have found the Linhoff meets all my needs and I have never had any
    problems with it. In today's market, I fear it would not fit my budget now.
    Good luck.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The crank handle isn't usually the problem on the front rise.
    David, from what I understand, the plastic ratchet lever system is a problem, on the early V's like mine. Linhof then changed this to a more robust metal lever. Horst's (German) opinion, is that it's a case of pointless German over-engineering.

As I said, I don't use anything wider than 90mm, so the dial gear works perfectly for my needs. It's so much simpler to operate now, that I can use it from behind the camera with ease. Not for everyone, to be sure, but a very durable, and simple repair.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin