Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,319   Online: 917

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I noticed somebody is trying to sell the Zeiss projector lens on Ebay again. Is there a list of lens that sound too good to be true and really aren't worth the effort?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There should be if there isn't. I was told (but won't spend my money to find out) that projector lenses can be pretty good if used like a barrel lens. I do know some telescope hobbyists use them sometimes. Sometimes I think there should also be a sleeper list, of under-rated underpriced lenses too. But, once the list came out, prices would probably climb

I think this one was some sort of industrial lens. It's on Grimes list with no way to fit a shutter to it. F/5.6 or so. No other stop. For awhile somebody from Europe kept trying to peddle one. The price was high enough but the shipping would make you faint.

Last week I was tempted by a Soviet built 5x7 [well the metric version] Bidding for the camera started very low but shipping was about $100. Worst part? That was shipping within the EU. To North America it was to be quoted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't be tempted by those ex-Soviet LF cameras. I forget what it is exactly, but they have some serious problem, like non-standard filmholders. Some of them have this interesting behind-the-lens shutter, though, which is kind of like a Packard shutter with three speeds--I guess you could think of it as a souped-up Packard or a poor-man's Sinar shutter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ Mar 1 2003, 06:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I noticed somebody is trying to sell the Zeiss projector lens on Ebay again. Is there a list of lens that sound too good to be true and really aren&#39;t worth the effort?</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Hmm.... Now there is an idea.

I have a Hasselblad PCP80 Projector - with the big, whumping Zeiss P-Planar 150mm 1:3,5 lens.

Now to figure out how to cobble it to one of the &#39;Blads....

Man-- What a *beautiful* piece of glass&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here&#39;s another one I&#39;ve heard to avoid--lenses made by Carl Meyer. This was apparently an American company that sourced lenses from various manufacturers, some good, some bad. The name of the company was designed to create confusion with the venerable firm of Hugo Meyer, Goerlitz, which ended up in East Germany after WWII. I had not realized the ruse until someone pointed it out to me. Carl Meyer sold some very fast LF lenses, but apparently they are not very good.

One might say that Cosina is engaging in a similar scam with their "Voigtlander" line, but at least they are making good lenses. I just wish they would give them new names to avoid confusion with the old names like "Skopar," "Lanthar," and "Heliar," which have come to designate specific designs, and which are completely unrelated to the current lenses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

If the camera had a reasonable shipping amount attached I would have bitten. The lens alone might have been worth the selling price but the shipping scam -(. Of course the shipping was buried in paragraphs of text. Felt like chapters.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There have been several listings on Ebay recently in which a wooden field camera is identified as a Deardorff copy (don&#39;t recall the name offhand). I have heard others who have had experience with this particular camera say that it is not equivalent in any way, especially in "fit and finish". I guess one gets what one pays for. As someone once said "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is".

Along the line of lenses, I recently purchased a 610 mm Apo Nikor barrel mount lens. It was properly and adequately described by the seller. However, I had no concept from the ad what a hunk of glass this thing is, (almost 5 1/2 inches in diameter at the mounting flange). I am going to need three sherpas when I use in on my 12X20 (one for the camera, one for the holders, one for the lens). As for myself, I plan on carrying the meter and notepad.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Teaches you a lesson for outbidding me-))) Actually the 360 barely fits my camera. Have to mount it with only a couple screws to avoid distorting the lens.

In reference to Ebay articles....

I am often amused at the excessively high prices that used Rodenstock Sironar-S series of lens are sold for. There is no disputing the quality of a Rodenstock lens but if people where to check around and read specs/reviews on Schneiders. Nikkors, Sironar-N and others they would see that the advantage of a Sironar-S is not as significant as some think.

Just goes to demonstrate once again that some folks are buying the name and not the product for an intended use.

I guess Kerry&#39;s comment about "prying from my dying hands" has served to make Rodenstock Sironar-S a collectable, regardless of other performers. Too bad that it is currently available new as that prevents it from being classified as a collectable.

But heck.... for &#036;40.00 less that a new one, you too can own a used, almost collectable lens. :>))

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin