Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've brought in lots of auto parts from the US, and I would never use UPS across the border. They tack on so many fees its crazy, plus they have never got a duty classification right yet for me. Why should I pay $50 for the priviledge of them screwing it up?

If I have to have it overnight, its Fedex, otherwise the Postoffice. The postoffice usually takes about the same time as a ground courier, and the fees are much less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

If I have to have it overnight, its Fedex, otherwise the Postoffice. The postoffice usually takes about the same time as a ground courier, and the fees are much less.
    I'd never suggest using UPS ground. Not even if you tortured me. But UPS air [2nd day or whatever] is a much different service.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Camera-Traders located downtown might be able to help. It's worth the visit just to browse

http://www.camera-traders.com/

No, uhh, they uhh, went out of business. (At least until next time I visit to pick up any bargains they might have accumulated which I don't want you to get...)
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Justin. If visiting Vancouver is an option, for repair/CLA's I'd recommend the following:

Top of the list would be Horst Wenzel 604-263-5820. He used to own Vancam, and works privately now, in "semi-retirement" mode. He's simply the best, in addition to being a great guy to deal with. He'll get it right, the first time, no question.

Next in line, I would say that boys at Camtex are fairly good. http://www.camtexgroup.com/home.html

Personally, I won't recommend Vancam, as I think their customer service utterly sucks the big one.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    The shipping isn't so much the problem as import duties and fees. My Cambo cost me about $280, plus $40ish to ship. I now have a bill from FedEx for $50ish for their brokerage fees and assorted other stuff. KEH does have some great prices and gear, and their sales people were great, but to get the lens, lensboard and a loupe for about $250 it would have been about $35 shipping, plus another $50ish for FedEx fees. I'd rather spend that $85 on film, paper or chemistry so I'm trying to find something in Canada before I go to them.

- Justin
    I always use the postal service and have had no problems. I don't think there are any import duties or taxes on items sent out for repair.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd wholeheartedly second Paddy's recommendation of using Horst Wenzel... he does great work and his prices are very reasonable.

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I always use the postal service and have had no problems. I don't think there are any import duties or taxes on items sent out for repair.
    There is not supposed to be, but I've been nailed in the past then has to do the paperworks and wait 6 months to get my money recovered. Sometimes the way the system is setup I think it is done as a deterrent.

Although Toronto is a long ways away from BC, I would suggest e-mailing either Harry's Pro Shop or Eight Elm Camera, as both places "speak" large format and would likely know where in Canada you might still get a shutter CLA'd.

good luck
    joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin