Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,527   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Looking for CLA and LF shops in Victoria, BC

Hello everyone! The shutter on my Wollensak 135mm f/4.7 is getting a bit gummy. Exercising it helps, but I think it's time she's set in good working order. I will be in Victoria, British Columbia this Saturday and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place their to leave the lens for a CLA? If anyone knows of a place where I may be able to track down a reasonably priced ($200-$300ish) LF lens or two that would be great as well. Thanks for the help!

- Justin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Camera-Traders located downtown might be able to help. It's worth the visit just to browse

http://www.camera-traders.com/
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess you want to avoid shipping but KEH is your friend.

Which Wollensak? If it's just a press camera I'd think hard about getting it fixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The shipping isn't so much the problem as import duties and fees. My Cambo cost me about $280, plus $40ish to ship. I now have a bill from FedEx for $50ish for their brokerage fees and assorted other stuff. KEH does have some great prices and gear, and their sales people were great, but to get the lens, lensboard and a loupe for about $250 it would have been about $35 shipping, plus another $50ish for FedEx fees. I'd rather spend that $85 on film, paper or chemistry so I'm trying to find something in Canada before I go to them.

The Wollensak is the 135mm f/4.7 Raptar in a Rapax shutter. It only cost me about $100 so depending on how much they want to CLA it I may just use it as a barrel lens. On the other hand, a lens with excellent condition glass in a functional and reasonably accurate, if occasionally sticky, shutter even for $200 does not seem to come up that frequently north of the border. I'll go hunting, and see what I can find.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if this is of any help, but Beau Photo www.beauphoto.com (in Vancouver) handles LF. I don't know if they do CLAs or other repairs. I've purchased MF film and equipment from them and they seemed knowledgeable.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    The shipping isn't so much the problem as import duties and fees. My Cambo cost me about $280, plus $40ish to ship. I now have a bill from FedEx for $50ish for their brokerage fees and assorted other stuff.
    You're paying 14% between provincal and GST? 280*.14 is $39.20 Fedex sticks I think $8 on that. UPS would have saved you the $8. If you buy from a local store you'll still pay the same 14%.

Almost no photo gears gets much in the way of duties. You're mostly looking at the sales tax but you'll pay those anyways.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When ordewring from the US, it is less expensive to use US Postal Service.

I know when using UPS they had a $25 brokerage fee, while the Queen's Couriers (Canada Post) only charge $5. And the Queen's Couriers do not alway bother to collect the taxes and the brokerage fees if the amount is relatively small.

I would expect that the courier companies would not overlook any part of that revenue stream.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post

I would expect that the courier companies would not overlook any part of that revenue stream.
    You'd be surpised.

I can't imagine ordering anything valuable by Canada post. Plus if it doesn't go ground UPS actually has no brokerage fee. So it can end up being cheaper and quicker then Canada post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nick, Indeed I might be surprised. But that has been my experience, limited though it may be.

I have not had any parcels lost by Canada Post, although you do need to ensure it is well packed, as they are handled roughly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justin:

KEH won't ship most items by USPS - they make an exception for things like manuals.

With respect to repairs, have you considered Carol Flutot?

Over here on the Lower Mainland, I have used VanCam with good success for 35mm and MF equipment:

http://www.vancam.com/

If they don't do LF, I would respect any recommendation they might make.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin