Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,052   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

shutter for meyer 360mm f3.6 trioplan

Hey Everybody
    I have the possibility to buy a gigantic hugo meyer 360mm f3.6 trioplan.
    Now my question is, does any shutter exist that this can be used with?
    I looked at packard shutters, but the maximum opening I've found are 8cm
    and the diameter of the rear of the lens is 11 cm!!!
    I use a toyo 810g, and the lens is already on a toyo board so that's great, but without a shutter, there's no reason to buy it, since I want to be able to use it's wide opening, and rarely find myself in lighting conditions where a 3.6 opening calls for 1/2 a second or more.
    Thanks
    Mads

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think your best hope is a Packard, they can be special ordered up to 20cm (8"), however one that large won't come cheaply. http://packardshutter.com/

Shooter
    Pinhole

creative shuttering

If the price is right because it's one of those 'undesireable' barrel lenses, and you want it badly enough, you can get creative...see below...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...ll-please.html
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If nothing else comes along I'll have to go with Jim Galli's solution.
    I'm not willing to spend 400 dollars plus import taxes (I live in Denmark) for a suitable packard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could steal a focal plane shutter from a Speed Graphic and use it as a front curtain shutter.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Freygr how could I do that??
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jesus.
    What kind of coverage does that thing have?
    What a lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mads, the 4x5 Graflex Inc focal plane shutter's gate is 4" x 5". Don't forget that there were 5x7 Speed Graphics and Graflex SLRs.

What seems to bother you is that you think you need something larger, at least 11 cm square.

But in fact you can get by quite well with a smaller shutter. A shutter mounted behind the lens' barrel won't reduce the aperture, i.e., illumination at the center of the film plane. All it will do is block the outer part of the cone of rays that the lens projects, i.e., vignette. Using a mutilated 4x5 Speed Graphic as a shutter should work fairly well, although to be fair to me I did the arithmetic without knowing where the lens' exit pupil is relative to the rear of its barrel. You could equally well hang the Speed Graphic off the front of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RoBBo, Mads, here's what the VM has to say "Portrait Trioplan f3.0-f3.8 These were made in 10.25in for 7x5in, 12in for 8.5x6.5in, 14in for
    8.5x6.5in, 16.5in for 10x8in and 19in for 10x8in. In the B.J.A. 1934 p567 these are listed as Portrait Trioplan,
    but they were a sharp lens and were actually also used as a fast lens on many press and reflex cameras as
    was then normal.
    These were big lenses to fit into a shutter, but were offered with a 'silent' before lens shutter for short
    exposures- probably one of the TBI shutters made to fit in front for studio work.Thus the f3 was used for
    several years in Meyer or Roth Super Speed Press and Reflex cameras (B.J.A. 1926, p348;1928, p659
    advert., 1929, p319). This was an London made camera with a Meyer Trioplan lens and was actually often
    sold with English lenses."

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Camera Eccentric has a catalog online with Meyer glass too.
    Murray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin