Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,137   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The rear cell of the 300mm Symmar needs 61cm to focus at infinity, since the nodal point is fat out in front of the lens cell.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ar...f/sr_5.6_a.pdf
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Ole
    That answers it!
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Vaughn, I got one of the good ones I think...snip
    Jim
    I think I got one of the not-so-good ones. Lots of separation on the 21" cell (but I have a 19" RD Artar which is close enough). The 28" cell on the back of the shutter is clean and focuses fine in the center, but soft in the corners...and really is too much for my Zone VI 8x10. I crank out both focusing rails to the very end of their gears and I can focus at infinity. I thought about putting the cell on the front of the shutter to give me a little more focus ability, but haven't tried it since folks say that it is a softer image used that way.

But the lens was free, so no complaints!

vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just an update as to the origianlity of the f stop scale on my lens:
    After reading a Grundlach catalogue on camera eccentric, it seems that they offered at set of four single cells (14, 18, 24 and 28) in a choise of four different shutters, the ilex universal being one of them. The focal lengths optained when combined match exactly with what is written on my ilex universal shutter. So it would seem to be original after all and not, as Ole stated, an unoriginal version. The whole set cost 221 dollars back then. Now I just need
    to track down a 14 and a 24 cell, and I'll have all the focal lengths I'll ever need for my 8x10. I think I'm gonna sell my symmar, as I realy like the look the turner reich gives me.
    if anybody is interested the link to this information is:
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...astigmatf.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just an update as to how expensive these lenses were at the time. You could get a 12x20 Korona view camera for 90 dollars. A Korona commercial view camera 8x10 was 75 dollars. We are talking somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Does anybody know what this corresponds to in todays dollars?
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ah, so it is not a triple convertable as you originally stated, but more along the lines of an incomplete casket set.

The concept of the caskets sets is great -- I just know that out in the field, I would probably drop parts in the sand or where ever, if I was taking lenses apart! Not to mention getting confused about which combination to use and remembering which scale to look at!

The other problem would be if the shutter stuffs up, I would have complete set of lenses that I can't use! YMMD

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes Vaughn
    I guess you're right, I just didn't know that until yesterday. Anyway the cells should still be usable on their own I just don't have an f stop scale to refer to.
    Actually I'm looking for the 14" and 24" cell know, especially the 14", so if anybody has one they are willing to part with, please let me know.
    Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are two lens on ebay right now. One with a 21 inch and ? lens and one with a 20 inch and 28 inch set

Regards
    Bill
    Last edited by cowanw; 10-06-2007 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin