Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,769   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

240mm symmar-s with step down ring?

I recently ran into a 240mm with 86mm filter threads. The biggest filters i carry are the b+w 82mm so i purchased a step down ring. Has anyone tried this?
    I can't see vignetting on the corners of my 8x10 ground glass and i don't know if i'll have time to test for it before my trip. The B+W filters are pretty thin compared to tiffen's and hoyas. Should i expect vignetting on chromes? If so, at what aperture? I say chromes because it's sometimes hard to tell on black n white negs unless you make a print.

vinny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C'mon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot with a Nikon FM2 and a 105 lens. Sometimes I put a 49mm lens filter on it. No problem.

Does that help?

I understand your frustration, but if no has an answer, no one has an answer.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Vinny,
    To test for sure, install the camera and use swing and tilt without the filter to be at the maximum coverage of the lens. This way, you will see when installing the filter/ring combination if the coverage is affected or not.
    As Schneider has not standardized filter sizes, I doubt you are not reducing the lens coverage with the step ring. (The Nikon example above is irrelevant. Nikon has a 52 mm filter size for the most part of the lens range. On a semi-tele like the 105, 52 mm is a bit overkill so you may have success and no vignetting with a 49 mm filter).
    Hpe this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Vinny,
    To test for sure, install the camera and use swing and tilt without the filter to be at the maximum coverage of the lens. This way, you will see when installing the filter/ring combination if the coverage is affected or not.
    As Schneider has not standardized filter sizes, I doubt you are not reducing the lens coverage with the step ring. (The Nikon example above is irrelevant. Nikon has a 52 mm filter size for the most part of the lens range. On a semi-tele like the 105, 52 mm is a bit overkill so you may have success and no vignetting with a 49 mm filter).
    Hpe this helps.
    I am sorry George. I forget that APUG is a world wide institution and that American sarcastic humor, such as it might be, won't be carried over in the translations. I know the Nikon reference wasn't relevant, it wasn't suppose to be. I never shoot with a step down ring anyway. The point is two days later the original poster is complaining that no one answered his post... Two days allows you a fair amount of test time if it's important to you. And obviously, no one had any experience trying to use a step down filter on this particular large format lens. I personally get nervous using any filter not made for the precise lens thread on my 150mm Fujinon precisely because of the tilts and swings...

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I am sorry George. I forget that APUG is a world wide institution and that American sarcastic humor, such as it might be, won't be carried over in the translations. I know the Nikon reference wasn't relevant, it wasn't suppose to be. I never shoot with a step down ring anyway. The point is two days later the original poster is complaining that no one answered his post... Two days allows you a fair amount of test time if it's important to you. And obviously, no one had any experience trying to use a step down filter on this particular large format lens. I personally get nervous using any filter not made for the precise lens thread on my 150mm Fujinon precisely because of the tilts and swings...

tim in san jose
    Tim,
    don't ever look in my shooting room, there are many, many times that I'll use a 77-72 stepdown on any RB lens longer than 90mm, and sometimes you just have to, of course I verify lack of vignetting, and I prefer stepping up, but I have a few (e.g. B60-67) that make using any filter at all possible.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is I'm guessing Bill wants to use the lens on a LF camera with movements. Off the top of my head I've no idea how much excess coverage the lens has. At the extreme ends of the coverage he'll likely see problems. But if he isn't using that much of the image circle then it won't matter.

The other thing is a 240mm is a wide lens on 8x10. So it's more likely to have problems then any long lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    of course the alternative, and one I use frequently, is to attache the filter to the much smaller threads on the rear of the lens, typicallywith a rather large step up ring (though I use far more gels in that position to avoid focus shift"

erie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin