Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,881   Online: 1055

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Brass lens identification

I have a smallish brass lens, about 1 1/4 inch in diameter, has a rotating disk for f-stops. Reads on the side: "The Scientific Lens Co. Extm W.A. Anastigmat S24

It has an aperture scale from 16 to 256 which I know is really f16 to f64.

What will it cover?

Age? History?

Any ideas as to it's value?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of lenses that match your description as to size and function. In general this is an early extreme wide angle lens. The ones I have cover 8x10 and have a focal length of between 155 and 165mm. They can be very sharp stopped way down. (smallest hole). I don't think these are extremely rare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I have a couple of lenses that match your description as to size and function. In general this is an early extreme wide angle lens. The ones I have cover 8x10 and have a focal length of between 155 and 165mm. They can be very sharp stopped way down. (smallest hole). I don't think these are extremely rare.
    I may have to mount this on my 5x7. See what the coverage is.

Thank you.

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Joe Harrigan had an article on these little brass wide-angles in the July/August `07 issue of View Camera.

I have a couple of these types of lenses, a 125mm Nehring and a 165mm Compute. Both cover 8x10, and I'll agree with Joe's assessment that these are nice little lightweight wide angles, and quite sharp at small apertures.

My guess at the age is about 1895 to 1915. It's almost certainly a wide-angle rapid rectilinear/aplanat. They're not particularly rare (I've seen a few from The Scientific Lens Company), and it's "pretty good condition" value is (again, a guess) in the $150 - $250 range.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it says "Anastigmat" on the lens, it's not likely to be an Aplanat/ WA Rectilinear. the difference won't be great, however - the good WA Aplanats were surprisingly good!

I use a 3 1/4" WA Rectilinear on 4x5 and a 15cm WA Aplanat on up to 24x30cm. They are certainly good enough for contact prints, and only lose a little sharpness on the corners on modest enlargements. An anastigmat should be even better...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've tried to snag a couple of these on ebay recently (Scientific Lens Co. 8x10 wide angle lens). My max bids were in the $100 range and I lost out. I blamed collectors of brass lenses for shelf display (grr) but maybe the culprit is that View Camera article (which I hadn't seen).
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin