Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,900   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Multi Format

Calumet Wood-Field XM 4x5

I took the plunge today and purchased a very nice used Calumet Wood-Field XM 4x5. It's my understanding that it is a rebranded Tachahari. I'm sure I will be posting lots of questions and picking the greater brain...lol

One of the first issues I would would like some suggestions on is for a tri-pod and head. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got one of those, though not re-branded.
    It's a wonderful little camera.
    My LF setup weighs less than my MF one...
    And by that, the tripod I got for the latter works great for the former.
    I've got a Manfrotto 804RC2 head on a pair of 3011BN legs, never shown any signs of shake or issues with supporting the camera, plus it's relatively light and easy to carry.
    I ride my bike around the city with the Tachi, 2 lenses, 10 holders, my spot meter, the aforementioned tripod and my 35mm P&S with no problems, and still enough maneuverability to shoot with the P&S while I ride.
    It's a great setup.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsawin View Post
    I took the plunge today and purchased a very nice used Calumet Wood-Field XM 4x5. It's my understanding that it is a rebranded Tachahari. I'm sure I will be posting lots of questions and picking the greater brain...lol

One of the first issues I would would like some suggestions on is for a tri-pod and head. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I have a manfrotto 055B pro legs (bogen 3021 I guess in USAian terms) + their standard low-to-mid-range 3-way head (not geared or heavy weight or anything fancy - don't remember the model number) with the RC2 quick release system. It works great for my shenhao which is heavier than the tachihara. I don't need anything heavier for this (in fact, I wouldn't want it). Any tripod that would provide stable support for a medium format system (or 35mm with a moderately long lens) should work fine for your tachihara. You don't need any of the big guns. A monorail might be a different story though I do know a guy who uses his cambo on the same tripod/head I have.

To give you an idea of the kind of head:

It's just a decent, reasonably sturdy but not too heavyweight head.
    Last edited by walter23; 10-09-2007 at 01:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What he said! Manfrotto 055, Tiltall's another. Gitzo reporter. There are just so many choices.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can get more elaborate and more sturdy if you want, but this is a very good economical setup that I use. I find the head of my manfrotto can vibrate a little bit (that's a head issue, not a legs issue - you can see how it kind of sits high on all these narrow hinges) - which is actually much more of a problem with my SLR + 200mm lens. When I hang my 4x5 off the end of the horizontal column in the arrangement in the second picture it gets pretty shaky.... sharp negatives though, I just have to wait for wind to die down (which I generally do anyway unless I want motion blur).

If I ever upgrade anything it will be to get a more sturdy head. But this one works very well so I'm in no rush to drop the $500 or so that I would need to upgrade.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys...now I have homework...lol

Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin