Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,999   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

More new toys...

Also arriving today, four new Shen-Hao wood 5x7 film holders to test. When I get them in my hot little hands, and have a chance to put some film through them, I'll post a review here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your review would be helpful. I cannot decide whether I should get the wooden Shen-Hao holders or the soon-to-be-released-but-don't-know-when Fotoman plastic holders. I have never used wooded holders, so I am not so sure of the Shen-Hao holders. Are wooden holders usually heavier than plastic ones?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I heard from someone that their new Shen-Hao 5x7 film holders leak light. I would like to hear if you have the same problem.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Sunny side up

Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan View Post
    I heard from someone that their new Shen-Hao 5x7 film holders leak light. I would like to hear if you have the same problem.

Well the first test would be to load em up and lay them out in the sun, turn them over after about ten minutes or so, stand on each end, then process film. That ought to nip it in the bud.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay View Post
    Your review would be helpful. I cannot decide whether I should get the wooden Shen-Hao holders or the soon-to-be-released-but-don't-know-when Fotoman plastic holders. I have never used wooded holders, so I am not so sure of the Shen-Hao holders. Are wooden holders usually heavier than plastic ones?
    I can weigh mine tomorrow but they don't seem heavy. If I had to guess they are lighter then my vintage 5x7 holders.

I haven't had much time to check for light leaks. But then outside of these my newest 5x7s are maybe 40 years old

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got home and opened the package. So far, they seem extremely well-made. very high quality finish, with the light traps attached via screws, so if they do go bad, they can be serviced. That's a big plus right there. They don't seem to be substantially heavier than my plastic holders. The tape on the hinge is some kind of vinyl tape, which I'm not sure how well it will hold up to use, but that's not a big deal as I have bookbinder's tape that I've used to repair other old wood holders. I'll test them out this weekend for film fit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    but that's not a big deal as I have bookbinder's tape that I've used to repair other old wood holders. I'll test them out this weekend for film fit.
    I am curious as to where you source bookbinders tape?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I am curious as to where you source bookbinders tape?

You should find it at an arts supply shop.

Greetings,
    G

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got mine at Utrecht art supply. You can also get it from Light Impressions or Pearl Paint online if you can't find it locally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok- update on the Shen-Hao film holders. I loaded them up this morning, and they load smoothly. The darkslides pull easy but they're not loose or sloppy. Tonight I soup the film, and we'll see how they turned out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin