Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,692   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

normal lens for 2x3 Galvin

I am going to Hawaii for business but am looking forward to meeting up with Robert for a little photography. I am exploring my camera options and am either going to take my 6x6 or my Galvin. The problem with the Galvin is the normal to widish lens. I don't have one, I don't think. I have been looking at the prices of 65mm lenses on KEH :o . Then I got to thinking that this was wide for 2x3 and I have no idea what "Normal" is for this format.

I have 135 Xenar that I use every once in a while on my 4x5. Is that normal or am I looking for something in the 90 range.

Can someone help with the "Normal" lense so i can price them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try looking at a 100mm El Nikkor, or 105mm fujinon. Schneider and rodenstock also make 100mm focal lengths.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    75 to 85 or 90 (the diagonal of 2 x 3 is the normal focal length)
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The expensive 65mm on KEH cover 4x5. I think they some times have ones aimed at 2x3 cameras.

Images
    It would be nice to have something that i can use on my 4x5 but DAMN those 65mm lenses are expensive.

So 90 or 100. I will look into those.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Rodenstock 100mm f5.6 Sironar-N on 6x9, and also a Schneider 100mm f5.6 Symmar-S (I use the Rodenstock more often only because mine is in a more accurate shutter than my Schneider, there is not much to choose between the two lenses optically.) These are both lenses designed for the format: they allow movements on 6x9 but won't (quite) cover 4x5. Both are very good.

An older choice is the Schneider 105mm Xenars in various speeds. These are good lenses too, also not covering 4x5. Less coverage than the above lenses (about 120mm vs. 140+mm) but still enough to allow some movement on 6x9 (diagonal, depending on your back, about 98mm).

Some people like the Kodak 101mm f4.5 Ektar, though my own example of this lens is nowhere near as good as my Sironar-N, YMMV.

If you want something that will do double duty, a 90mm f6.8 Angulon makes a pretty nice standard lens on 6x9 and a lightweight wide for 4x5, and won't cost outrageous money.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the symmars and sironars were both made in focal lengths of 100mm and 135mm. The 135mm are easier to find, and will cover 4x5 as well.
    But there are many choices in that focal length to choose from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    75 to 85 or 90 (the diagonal of 2 x 3 is the normal focal length)
    Nonsense! The typical nominal 2.25" x 3.25" gate is in fact 56 mm x 81 (or 82) mm. So normal for the format is 100 mm.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Nonsense! The typical nominal 2.25" x 3.25" gate is in fact 56 mm x 81 (or 82) mm. So normal for the format is 100 mm.
    You are correct-full 2.25 x 3.25 is 100 mm diagonal.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well MY 101 Ektar is a sterling lens. The only problem is the Supermatic shutters they're mounted in... always be sure the shutter functions properly.
    I've also had ONE 101 Optar that was head and shoulders better than the other two I tried.
    Both of these lenses are fairly inexpensive.
    Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin