Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,181   Online: 845

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    All three of mine have felt: elderly (60's) monorail Arca swiss, Gandolfi variant (uses a metal Cambo back) and my Shen Hao.
    Interesting: none of my Arcas of that vintage use felt in the backs, but they all used foam between the bellows and the standards and between the standards and the backs and boards (foam which in my experience isn't really necessary to keep them light-tight).

I wonder whether yours was a felt for foam DIY replacement, or a version I haven't come across - which is very possible as they seemed to make all sorts of variations.

The only Arca things I have with felt in them (not counting the velvet light-traps in filmholders and RFBs) are a sliding back for RFBs on the 6x9 models, and a 'slides two ways' four-on-a-sheet dividing back for 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Velvet, not felt. If I couldn't use my old plate cameras as an excuse to lurk in the ribbon and lace section of my local haberdashery, something else would have to be found.... :-)
    Well... there's ribbon to make tabs for lifting things out of fitted cases, velcro tape for securing dark-cloths, safety-pins for everything imaginable...

Not to mention remnants of voile and net-curtain material to use for diffusing light (not on the light), all sorts of shiny fabric for bouncing it, and just about any sort of fabric for backdrops.

I like my local fabric shop

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I was calling "felt" is probably a velvet material. I never had a camera with this material until I bought a Shen Hao. It's a very nice camera but the back doesn't appear to any different than any other wood camera I have or have seen. It's not felt though after looking and is most probably a velvet material. it's in a dado and I haven't heard anything negative or positive about it, it's just there.

Fabric stores have some very nice women who know just about anything you would want to know about fabric. Last time I was at one they sold me a bottle of liquid that keeps the end cuts from coming unraveled. I was replacing a film holder end tabs cloth.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    Interesting: none of my Arcas of that vintage use felt in the backs, but they all used foam between the bellows and the standards and between the standards and the backs and boards (foam which in my experience isn't really necessary to keep them light-tight).

I wonder whether yours was a felt for foam DIY replacement, or a version I haven't come across - which is very possible as they seemed to make all sorts of variations.

The only Arca things I have with felt in them (not counting the velvet light-traps in filmholders and RFBs) are a sliding back for RFBs on the 6x9 models, and a 'slides two ways' four-on-a-sheet dividing back for 4x5.

<snip>

Peter
    Sorry: sloppy use of words on my part: I was using felt as a general term for a soft light-baffling material. Upon closer inspection, what I was calling felt is in fact what looks like a heavy-duty velvet around where the film holder seats. There is a channel for it to sit in but it does indeed look like a retro-fit as it's not a terribly good fit. The other baffling you mention is foam on mine too.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    I like my local fabric shop
    Me too.

I think it's like buying darkroom materials, or raw lumber, or strong bread flour - there's the feeling that you are not a mere consumer, but instead are a productive artisan.

My old cameras and plate holders have 1/2" or 3/8" velvet ribbon set into shallow rebates so that the edge of base material is protected from being lifted. These are the old style holders where the darkslide is captive, so there is no need for the more agressive beryllium copper springs you find on modern holders. A similar arrangement is common on polariod copy cameras, and all the polaroid adapters for electron microscopes I have used.

My 60s-era Sinar Norma has a sort of black string in the depths of the light trap baffles where lensboards and bellows attach. It's redundant, but a useful safety measure - I don't get light leaks in the couple of places it is missing, but worry that in strong side lighting I might. Micro Tools sells a self-adhesive thin strip of black foam that would make a suitable replacement. The older cameras don't have the interlocking grooves of the Sinar, so the integrity of the velvet is more important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin