Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,701   Online: 915

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One additional item I have is a Nikkor stainless steel sheet film holder for a regular stainless steel tank, the small 120 tank. It was hard to find but well worth it for some kinds of development. It came with a stainless steel guide that aids inserting the film into the curved slots.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried cutting down 4x5 film to 2x3. I was not very sucessful! Roll back is probably the way to go. The 2x3 Bush Pressman is now a collectable, gathering dust on my shelf. I decided to go with 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add.. Since 2X3 sheets are a little narrower than 120 roll film, I glued a plastic reel to a width that will accept the 2X3 cut film. I just put the sheets in the reel and develop like any other roll film. They don't creep in the reel and overlap each other. Sure a lot easier than film hangers or trays.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    Just to add.. Since 2X3 sheets are a little narrower than 120 roll film, I glued a plastic reel to a width that will accept the 2X3 cut film. I just put the sheets in the reel and develop like any other roll film. They don't creep in the reel and overlap each other. Sure a lot easier than film hangers or trays.
    Interesting! I develope my 2x3 negs in trays and often thought of using a reel but the narrower width prevented me from pursuing the idea. After reading this, I'm going to cut a stainless steel reel in half and weld it back together to fit sheet film. Thanks!
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have a Century Graphic, and found a Fedco daylight tank for 2X3 sheet film. Being circular, it gives more even development than my square Yankee tank for 4X5. Currently use mostly Efke (25,50 & 100 ISO), but would standardize on FP-4 if Ilford will ever cut to that size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Interesting! I develope my 2x3 negs in trays and often thought of using a reel but the narrower width prevented me from pursuing the idea. After reading this, I'm going to cut a stainless steel reel in half and weld it back together to fit sheet film. Thanks!
    Seems like a lot of work. The plastic reels are adjustable between 35mm and 120. I just positioned the reel at the right distance between 127 and 120 setting and applied a little crazy glue. I have used it quite a bit, and no problems so far. The sheets won't walk into the reel like roll film since the reel is glued. You have to work them down into the reel in order to load additional sheets.

This is what I love about this site. So many good ideas!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    2x3 sheet film is not at all difficult to handle. I use a Yankee tank to develop them using Pyrocat-HD (in glycol) with extreme minimal agitation (start, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the 30 min developing time). I've had no problems.

I also have a Grafmatic holder that works great ... as long as I am very careful to unload the bottom most septum; it doesn't want to fall out with the other five septa. It's very handy.

Both my Crown Graphic and Galvin have the Graflock back, so I use my rollfilm holders with them, too.

Sheet film I use is HP5+ and J&C 200. When I finally use up my stock of those, I'll use either the Efke 25 or 100 or the Foma films.

These are fun cameras. If it needs service (or CLA), I unreservedly recommend Fred Lustig in Reno, NV. He restored my Crown Graphic to like-new condition (except for the leather hand-hold), and confirmed that one of my old, knob-type rollfilm backs needs a part that's no longer available.

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey, good idea about gluing the plastic reel! i've got a spare, and will try it asap. i've been using the 'taco' method in a plastic daylight tank. works, but it's kind of a pain. i have an Fr adjustable tank as well, but i get flow marks. a reel would be better.

i shoot with a busch pressman model C, and only use film holders. i've got like 20 or 30, they were so cheap on ebay. i had been using arista.edu film from freestyle, but recently did some 4x5 trimming. it was successful, even though i had to do it in the dark. the key was using a paper trimmer and putting masking tape as stops for lining up the film. handled gently, i don't get any scratches. even did some test shots on astia and provia chrome the other day. my lab was kind enough to try the nonstandard format, and all went well.

2x3 shots here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, these are really great shots, I am so glad that you are exploring the camera to its fuller extent. It's a really great format and very portable and versatile.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks curt!

it's my 'portable tilt-shift' camera, for the most part. if i want medium format negs, i'll use my bronica. if i'm serious about taking time and composing an image, i'll bust out the 4x5 monorail. i think i've shot with it stopped down maybe once...it's all about the fuzzies for me on this camera. my rangefinder doesn't appear to work very well, but i've never used it. strictly ground glass and film holders.

i want to do more portraiture with it, although it'd be nicer if i had a longer lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin