Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,434   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x3?

Shooter
    Multi Format

2x3?

hey all,
    couple of questions. I have been looking at a baby speed graphic(2x3) and was having a couple of questions:

how hard is 2x3 sheet film to work with? because the camera I am looking at has the spring back on it not the graflok back in order to use the film roll holders. and my second question does anyone know where to buy 2x3 film processing hangers? There are none on ebay just 4x5, 5x7.

thanks,
    Scott Hunnicutt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    2x3" sheet film is not hard to work with, and there seem to be lots of filmholders out there as well as Grafmatics. You can process it in trays or the Nikor stainless steel tank or hangers. Hangers are hard to find, but they do exist, so you can process in trays or by some other method until you manage to find some hangers. When you do find hangers or wooden 2x3" filmholders, people often seem to be giving them away for the cost of shipping.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only problem I have ever had using 2x3 sheet film has been grasping the dark slides to pull them. Sometimes I have to pull by the corners instead of the middle because of the smaller space. People with smaller hands or longer nails might not have the problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schunn99 View Post
    I have been looking at a baby speed graphic(2x3)
    I will be very interested to hear your experience down the road with the baby graphic. I currently shoot 6x7 and am pleased with the format, but I could sometimes use a bit of front rise with some of the architectural stuff I'm involved in. In that case, I would likely still want to use roll film, but you know ...

Anyway, good luck and let us know!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may sound dumb, but is 2x3 sheet film sold as such, or does one cut 120 film to size. Though I've not looked for it, I've certainly not stumbled across it either.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, HP5+ is a stock item in 2x3" sheets. I've used Efke PL100 and J&C Classic (Fortepan) 200 and 400. I'm not sure what's available at the moment.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle also sells arista.edu in 2 1/4x3 1/4.

120 film is slightly wider than 2 1/4 sheet film.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, the range of emulsions available in 2x3 is limited, and there's no color. For color, one has to use roll film or cut down sheets larger than 2x3.

Scott, if you look hard on eBay and bid high enough you'll be able to buy a 2x3 Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder. These slip in like a sheet film holder, can be used on 2x3 cameras with spring (Graphic) backs. They were made for 620 film. They will feed perfectly well from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. Conversion to 120 is possible, impossibly costly. To learn more about them, visit www.graflex.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a tough one. My 2x3s have graflok backs. The best roll film solution with them is the Mamiya rb67 6x7 or 6x45 backs. Getting a mask for your Speed's view finder is a bit problematic, but that can be dealt with by trial and error.

Finding hangers is most likely successful at a camera show or one of them British Jumble meets. I only use them for wash. I develop my film in a Patterson tank with the reels taken out, center column still installed. I place 5 cut down plastic tubes (Flourescent tube light protectors in my case) in the tank and develop like roll film. Works well except the backs sometimes still have their anti halation layers intact after processing. A touch of Sodium Carbonate in the first wash water takes care of that. After fixing, I place the negatives in the hangers and place in the tank. A tube to the bottom of the tank provides slow but constant wash water. The negs come out nice, but are a bit fiddly.

Good luck.
    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Busch C which is 2x3 or 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 size. I changed out the original spring back and replaced it with a Graflex 2 1/4 back. I bought four of the 6 shooters, Grafmatic 23's and three roll holders, Graphic, one is 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and the other two are full 2x3 inch. I have a bunch of cut film holders, most new, and the camera has is about mint with all of the finders and Kalart which is adjusted for the lens. All came with a Vulcanoid case to match. The bellows is as new as the day it was made, you have to be careful and get an excellent bellows. It has a lot of extension too. I collected all the 2x3 film developing hangers I needed and the system is really nice to work with. I can put it on a tripod or hand hold, what else would one need in this format and type of camera?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin