Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,382   Online: 771

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Portra 400 VC in 4x5?

Greetings all,

Does any know if Kodak makes Portra VC 400 in 4x5 sheets? So far, I've only been able to find the NC version. And while I'm asking, what other fast color film options are available to me in 4x5?

Many thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally i find it peculiar to use faster film than 160 ASA because the advantage of large format is fading by these higher sensitiv films.

Or am I wrong

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Higher speed film means faster shutter speeds, thus somewhat compensating for the greater chance of wind-induced camera shake during exposure with large format cameras outside. Wind is a considerable obstacle to getting sharp negatives with large-format equipment outside.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    @ obelix: I guess you are wrong, because their a ton of B/W 400 iso films. Actually it is quite useful to have 400 in large format, because sharpness and detail are still better with the large negative you get, compared to 400 iso film in medium format or 24x36.

@ mike: no, there is only 400 NC available in 4x5....., no other film. Sadly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a lot of 400VC in 4x5 sheets. The grain and resolution is a nonissue for me in 4x5 with reasonable print sizes, and it allows me to stop down a bit more or shoot in darker conditions.

I haven't used 400NC in 4x5, but it would certainly be useful -- getting people perfectly still is hard at 1/30 shutter speeds.
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So DrPablo... where are you getting your 400 VC film from?

As far as film speed in general... I do lots of relatively short exposure (< 30 sec.) photography of the night sky, and I need the extra speed to better record stars. It sure would be nice to have the Fuji 400X chrome film available as sheets, but that's just not an option. So I'm looking for all other possibilities.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    I use a lot of 400VC in 4x5 sheets. The grain and resolution is a nonissue for me in 4x5 with reasonable print sizes, and it allows me to stop down a bit more or shoot in darker conditions.

I haven't used 400NC in 4x5, but it would certainly be useful -- getting people perfectly still is hard at 1/30 shutter speeds.
    where do you buy 400VC in 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was from Zeff Photo in Boston about 18 months ago or so. Haven't looked since then.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know NC is the 400 c-41 film in 4x5 or 8x10.

It's the only 4x5 film I use when shooting people.

What drives me crazy is that it only comes in 10 sheet boxes. I've never been able to figure that one out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe Dr. Pablo bought the old version. I think I've seen the old 400VC as a special order in 20x24" (coulda been NC, but I'm pretty sure it was VC).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin