Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1269

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Graflex 23 rool back vs. Horseman

I am looking to get a 6x9 roll film back for my 4x5 camera. I was wondering how does the Graflex 23 6x9 roll back compare to the horseman 6x9 back? I realize the horseman may be more convenient with the lever advance. What I am most interested in is film flatness. Do they both hold the film equally flat?

Thanks,

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I am looking to get a 6x9 roll film back for my 4x5 camera. I was wondering how does the Graflex 23 6x9 roll back compare to the horseman 6x9 back? I realize the horseman may be more convenient with the lever advance. What I am most interested in is film flatness. Do they both hold the film equally flat?

Thanks,

Dan
    I have both, and gone through at least 4 of the Graflexes, mostly develop bad jams and or film spacing issues. The Horseman wins hands down, not just for film flatness but for the mechanics got mine used in at a swap meet in 1985 and still purrs when using the advance.

Another good back for the 23 is an RB 67 back - true you only get a 6x7 image but the backs are well made and can be gotten at a good price these days.

Mike

The Horseman backs are much better built than the old Graflex backs. I've used both, and as MikeK said above, Horseman wins hands down.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This regards 6x9 rather than 4x5: the Graflex backs were not bad in their day but their day was forty years ago (give or take). I've owned three. One died in the field on a long trip, arghhh. The other two have wildly variable spacing between frames. I've not found flatness to be a major issue. The Horseman back is a piece of real precision in every way and will outlast my lifetime.
    Russ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Guys - thanks for the advice. Mike I already have a Linhof 6x7 roll back. I just really like the 6x9 format. One other thing I thought of, is the Graflex back significantly lighter than the horseman? I'm thinking of using this on a press camera for handheld shooting.

Thanks,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The later lever wind Graflex backs are much nicer than the knob wind ones. Also, film flatness is better in the Graflex backs if they have the needle rollers either side of the film gate: these are almost never present on the knob wind types (some may have been retro-fitted) and usually are present on the lever types.

The Horseman backs (Arca-Swiss ones are identical, Wistas not identical but very similar) are much nicer to use and do feel better made. You are right that the Graflex backs are a bit lighter though.

Also, be aware that the Graflex '6x9' back is actually closer to the 6x8 format in size. My Graflex '6x9' back makes 57x78mm images, while my Horsemans are the more or less standard 56x82mm. You may prefer that, or not, but it does essentially mean that you are getting 6x8 sized negatives but using film at the same rate as you would for 6x9: you don't get the extra shot per roll that true (Fuji) 6x8 gets.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post

Thanks,

Dan
    Dear Dan,

Horseman or Linhof, or even MPP. Just about ANYTHING made after WW2 is better than Graflex, and I've had (or still have) most of 'em.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin