Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,088   Online: 1234

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Small Schneiders

Anyone own the smallest Schneider made? 100mm Symmar 5.6 MC
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 100mm Symmar convertible, if that helps. It's not MC, though.

But there are smaller Schneider lenses: 80mm Symmar, 65mm Angulon, 50mm Xenar... Maybe you mean "smallest Schneider lens that gets close to covering 4x5"? The 65mm Angulon would still be a candidate, for a given value of "coverage". And it's is a tiny little 00 shutter!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a Schneider 100mm f/5.6 Symmar-S MC which the vintage chart from Schneider indicates that it will cover a 2x3. I am not sure yet that it will cover a 4x5. I want to put one on my Busch C 2x3. Have you used it in the convertible configuration? This one isn't marked on the Copal 0 shutter as a convertible but neither is my Schneider Symmar-S 210. Any idea of what the conversion would be in length?

Thanks Ole,
    Curt

Do you know of any Bjorndahl's in Norway?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Schneider claim 143mm coverage at f:16 for the convertible Symmar, which just touches the corners of 9x12cm. Knowing Schneider, it should just cover 4x5" at f:22, maybe with slightly soft corners?

I haven't tried mine, I received it just before I left home last week. But it's on the "list to do" on the 4x5" Speed Graphic as soon as I get home again.

Symmar-S'es weren't designed to be convertible, so the corrections of the rear cell may be less good (or "more bad") than of the plain Symmar. The rear cell of the Symmar 100mm f:5.6 is 175mm f:12.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all of the information, I just found this thread.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/1...nvertible.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Maybe you mean "smallest Schneider lens that gets close to covering 4x5"?
    Just FYI... The 150mm f5.6 Xenar covers 4x5 with a bit to spare. It takes 34mm filters and comes in a Copal No. 0 shutter. The 150mm f9 G Claron is nearly as small (35.5mm filters, Copal or Compur No. 0) and covers 5x7 with movements. If you find one in a late style all black Compur 0 shutter it will only weight about 135g. Both of these are smaller than the 100mm Symmar-S and cover more.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What do you mean by smallest? They made cine camera lenses, still make lenses for machine vision and CCTV cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a Schneider 100mm f/5.6 Symmar-S MC which the vintage chart from Schneider indicates that it will cover a 2x3. I am not sure yet that it will cover a 4x5.
    I have one of these and it is a very nice lens on 6x9 (cm), allowing reasonable movements. It won't quite cover 4x5 (in.), but works well as a gentle wideangle on 6x12 (cm). Schneider quotes the image circle as 143mm at f22.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Curt,

Yup. Lovely little bottle. I use it on my 'baby' Linhof with 6x7 backs.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, I am going to replace the 101mm Wollensak with the Schneider 100mm when it comes. I hope I can adjust the Kalart to work with the new lens.

Regards,
    Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin