Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,621   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim has a good point, the 3x4 fits in the hands very well, by comparison the 4x5 feels like a big box. A 4x5 roll film holder, which are easier to come by can be cut down to fit the 3x4. A 4x5 Super D will go for a good chunk of change, a plain old Series D may be found at a more reasonable price. That's the thing with these cameras, you get one and then you find yourself with more before you know it. I now have 3.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Another option would be to modify your camera to use a 4x5 graflok back. A friend has such a camera (3=1/4x4-1/4 Speed Graphic). You do not get the full 4x5 image on the negative but you can still contact print or enlarge the neg. You combine the advantages of a smaller, lighter camera with standard 4x5 holders and 4x5 film.

Pete

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you adapted a 4x5 back to any of the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 RB cameras theoretically you could almost get a 4x4 image in either orientation.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    If you adapted a 4x5 back to any of the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 RB cameras theoretically you could almost get a 4x4 image in either orientation.
    Paul,

I was told the image is larger than 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 on the negative. I can find out the exact size if anyone is interested.

Pete

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've had SK Grimes modify a shitload of 3x4 graflexes with 4x5 Grafloc backs. It's the only way to go.

W.
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone,
    i didn't know Weston used a 3x4, that is interesting, I knew Stieglitz used a 4x5. I am inspired to only upgrade to a 3x4 super d with an ektar lens on order. The 3x4 does feel good to hold. Not sure about upgrading the rear to a 4x5 graflock back. I have 8 3x4 graflex holders and 3 plate holders, in mint condition, I like using them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin