Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,680   Online: 1123

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    or get an 8x10 with a bunch of reducing backs -) The Shen Hao FCL is light enough it almost makes sense for those of use who can't make a choice -))

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a relatively light set-up now and do not want to have to buy a new tripod and other lenses.

So to me, the 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back sounds pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Shen 8x10 is just under 4kg [I guess almost 9lbs?] If I'd been smart enough to ask about a 4x5 back I think I might have used this for 4 formats. 4x5,5x7,4x10 and 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Canham woodfield is 6 lbs. And it fits in the same backpack I used to use for my Shen Hao 4x5, and takes all the same lenses. The 5x12 configuration weighs a bit more, obviously, but it's a fairly portable setup. Moreso than an 8x10 with three reducing backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You only haul all three backs if you can't decide for the day -)

Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Greetings,

After playing a bit with my B&J 4x5, I find that what I really like best is the contact prints.

So I'd like to pick up a 5x7 camera, so that the contact prints are a bit larger.

Is the film reasonably easy to obtain? I have no problem buying 4x5 locally, but haven't been out to buy any lately (a little goes a long way), and so I'm asking here.

Thanks!

Edit:
    I'm in northwest Ohio, Toledo area.... and often spend time in Detroit as well. Sorry about leaving that out!

Doug,
    You shouldn't need a new camera. IIRC a B&J can accept a 5x7 back, so just look for one of those and save the $$$ for film, holders and lens.

Save some more money and buy used 5x7 film holders from Midwest or other reputable dealers, check 'em outwith photo paper and return any leakers for an exchange. A good used film holder IMHO is no better or worse than a new one. Agfa 5x7 holders are particularly robust, but my favorite old time 5x7 holders are Bacos (they sound like they belong on a salad, don't they?)

There is a lot of 5x7 film around, especially black and white. You have been given some good sources here.

I have been a fan of the 5x7 format for years. For my vision it is big enough to make beautiful contact prints.

There are some articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site that might be helpful.

http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/2006/5...8filmtable.pdf
    http://www.viewcamera.com/images/focalchart.gif
    http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/VC91-Thalmann-web.pdf

Good luck.

steve simmons
    Last edited by Sean; 10-25-2007 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: updated to a direct link

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow - thanks for all the 5x7 film info, folks! Good stuff, and appreciated.

To John Kasaian: are you sure a 4x5 B&J Press can accept a 5x7 back? If so, that would be fantastic - but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere before, and the back rotates.... and doesn't look like it would be easy to remove / replace.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The B&J press doesn't. I think John must have been thinking of the B&J tailboard model. They're really 5x7s with 4x5 reducing backs. Very much like the Agfa/Ansco tailboard 4x5/5x7 model.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin