Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 829

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John- I've not often found 5x7 holders that didn't obviously need WORK for under $20-25 each. If I've got to buy three of those to get a keeper, I'm at the price of a new Shen Hao, and I don't have unlimited storage space for all the junk/spare parts ones. 5x7 film is expensive enough I don't want to have to waste any on holders I don't know I can trust. More to the point, I'm often shooting people, people whose schedules don't allow me to call them back to shoot again at will, so re-shooting something lost to a light leak is not a realistic option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I thought the rumour was the Shen holders are actually made by the same people making Chamonix holders?...
    Not true -- completely different holders made by two separate companies.

I've just finished checking out some evaluation samples of the 5x7 Chamonix holders. IMHO they're even nicer than my Lotus 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 holders!

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've managed to buy a few good 5x7 holders from both Ebay and KEH-- definitely keep your eye on the KEH pages and jump when they appear, the return policy is quite reasonable as well, so it is worth a shot.

Having said that, once I get the final "spousal approval" for a 5x7/4x5 Canham Wood Field I will probably invest in some of the new Shen Hao holders to go with it. I spent nearly an hour with Keith Canham at PhotoPlus and I'm really looking forward to having a more portable 5x7.

Boy, it just took a few negatives from the B&J I bought from MPEX on a whim to fall in love with 5x7 -- especially for portraits.

JT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'Would love to have a Canham 5x7; anyone have the new Shen Hao holder/holders yet?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    John- I've not often found 5x7 holders that didn't obviously need WORK for under $20-25 each. If I've got to buy three of those to get a keeper, I'm at the price of a new Shen Hao, and I don't have unlimited storage space for all the junk/spare parts ones. 5x7 film is expensive enough I don't want to have to waste any on holders I don't know I can trust. More to the point, I'm often shooting people, people whose schedules don't allow me to call them back to shoot again at will, so re-shooting something lost to a light leak is not a realistic option.
    Wouldn't that being a matter of testing your equipment before using it for important asignments. Somebody somewhere gave the advise to number your holders thus keeping track of their perfomance.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    'Would love to have a Canham 5x7; anyone have the new Shen Hao holder/holders yet?
    A couple of us in this thread do. They're lighter then I expected.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm waiting for Richard Ritter's new camera design. I understand it is extremely light and will offer interchangeable backs for 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and probably any back in between. This camera is based on the same rail design he uses for his ULF cameras.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Curt-

Yes, I have them. Read further back in this thread, and do a search on APUG for my review of them. In short, they're excellent.

Shooter
    Medium Format

ROLLEI R3 sheet film

ROLLEI-FILM is able to cut EACH DESIRED FORMAT after customer's request. Also for old or special sheet film holders.

For instance, so for approx. 500 sheets, depending upon format. The well known ROLLEI R3 film is supplied.

Left in German language: http:www.aphog.de/index.php?option=com content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=1

With the 5x7 available ROLLEI R3 sheet film the cut measure is of 127mm x 178mm +/- 1 mm tolerance.

Cheers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin