Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,210   Online: 928

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Current 5x7 film availability..?

Greetings,

After playing a bit with my B&J 4x5, I find that what I really like best is the contact prints.

So I'd like to pick up a 5x7 camera, so that the contact prints are a bit larger.

Is the film reasonably easy to obtain? I have no problem buying 4x5 locally, but haven't been out to buy any lately (a little goes a long way), and so I'm asking here.

Thanks!

Edit:
    I'm in northwest Ohio, Toledo area.... and often spend time in Detroit as well. Sorry about leaving that out!
    Last edited by DougGrosjean; 10-24-2007 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had no problems getting standard b&w or slide 5x7 films. I have various efke stuff, foma 100, tmax100, tri-x, hp5+, fp4+, velvia 100, provia 100f.... and of course you can cut down 8x10. I'll probably do that for fuji 64T, which I like for night scenes.

See Dirk's store megaperls for some oddities that sometimes don't appear elswehere. Other than that I shop at b&h and freestyle.

Oh and yes the CPs are great!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you can't get it elswere, try http://www.wephota.de/fotogra.htm . It is in german but send them en email in english... Herr Grohmann wil answer you or try www.fotoimpex.de .... they have a catalog in english... or send them en email....

erik
    Last edited by Erik Hartmann; 10-24-2007 at 11:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling (my english my dear :-) )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    5x7 holders are a lot more difficult to obtain than the film. The only ones I've been able to find new are the Shen Haos at $66.95 apiece, which I refuse to pay. Battered, dusty, broken 5x7 holders are going on ebay for as much as $40.00 apiece. This is because B&H and Calumet sell only 13x18cm holders and not 5x7.

If you're primarily interested in color films, the availability of 13x18cm film might be more important to you than 5x7. Ektachrome 64T, for example, is available now in 8x10, 4x5, 4x5 Readyloads and 13x18cm sheets. No 5x7.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It depend what type of film you're looking for and where you are located. I keep in stock the FP4 and HP5 in 5x7, but don't carry any colour. Other stores have a good selection as well depending on the country. The holders are tough though.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    The holders are tough though.
    I can't believe that Fidelity or Lisco isn't producing them. There's huge pent up demand for them. To just switch over to 13x18cm with no warning and no buildup of 5x7 inventory is just staggeringly stupid business practice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A quick look at freestyle turned up:

Efke PL25
    Efke PL50
    Efke PL100
    Berger BPF200
    Ilford FP4+
    Ilford HP5+
    Kodak Tri-X 320
    Arista EDU Ultra 100
    Arista EDU Ultra 200
    Foma Fomapan 100
    Foma Fomapan 200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I can't believe that Fidelity or Lisco isn't producing them. There's huge pent up demand for them. To just switch over to 13x18cm with no warning and no buildup of 5x7 inventory is just staggeringly stupid business practice.
    I don't think that is what happened. They stopped making all holders. The 5x7 were in short supply even before they announced the stoppage. So what you are seeing at B&H etc is just what is left in the supply chain. Call it old stock.

If you watch KEH every so often you'll see older holders for reasonable prices. A few months back I got 6 older holders for $30.

Fotoman is supposedly also working on new ones but from the sound of it they'll be more expensive then the Shen hao by at least a 1/3.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Well, Fidelity and Lisco are one company, which was purchased several years ago by Calumet, and they seemed to have stopped production of all holders, and what you find are remaining stock. I have heard that at the last it was just one man doing all the work of manufacturing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    A quick look at freestyle turned up:

Efke PL25
    Efke PL50
    Efke PL100
    Berger BPF200
    Ilford FP4+
    Ilford HP5+
    Kodak Tri-X 320
    Arista EDU Ultra 100
    Arista EDU Ultra 200
    Foma Fomapan 100
    Foma Fomapan 200
    To clarify the above list

Berger BPF200 is Fortepan 200

Arista Edu Ultra 100 is Foma Fomapan 100
    Arista Edu Ultra 200 is Foma Fomapan 200

The Berger item would be remaining stock, since Forte went belly-up,
    however I am sure there will be a new Berger film item when they get
    up to speed with Harman coating for them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin