Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,610   Online: 1264

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have my great-uncles Kodak Autographic 3A (postcard size). Some time ago, just for the halibut, I put the lens on my Calumet 4x5 and took a close up, wide open photo of my hand holding a beer mug. The image was clear and sharp in the centre but progressed to being very soft, almost fuzzy at the edges. It did not leave any vignetting. I think the lens is a Kodak Eastman. I don't remember if it had any size printed on it ... I'll try to dig it out and see exactly what it is.

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 3A's were generally about 170mm I think. They came in a variety of types, usually meniscus, Rapid Rectilinear, or Tessar ... I've even seen a Dagor, but don't count on finding one of those easily. I haven't used a RR off of a 3A, but I've used them on other old folders, I really like the look they give.
    Nathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yeah, 170mm is what i roughly measured on my Ansco.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took the meniscus out of a horizontal 3A Buster Brown and opened it up to
    f8
    It comes with a screw in metal hood so I also get f16 if I want that
    It's soft at f8. Everything is pretty soft
    Decent at f16 but no use for that really unless I want to leave it on the camera
    Have not made a print of only negative shot at f32 but certainly respectable for general use if need a cheap lens

I took the lens out of a 2C brownie -postcard size- 130/131 film or something
    Opened it up to f8 and it is actually -quite- sharp in the center with everything getting progressively obliterated -extremely soft- towards corners
    (I don't know if normal for a lens like this but even stuff in the distant background is rendered sharper in the center)

I like the crazy look of the brownie best but the 3A gives a nicer, diffused sort of look, I think. Haven't used them but a few times.

I'll upload what I have for photos

This 1st one was my first try on kodalith -I used the brownie lens to see if less contrast from the lens would help keep overall contrast down
    -don't mind the tones and highlights -scan was terrible
    It's much sharper in center than appears

2nd is the 3A lens at f8 on Polaroid 55 -the print. My first 4x5 shot. I think I exposed for the negative ..but this is at least accurate of the look I get
    Last edited by sun of sand; 12-06-2007 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks great. I just got a postcard sized folder with a 6 1/2 in RR-lens in a working shutter. Maybe I can clean it up tomorrow for some trials.
    /matti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin