Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,181   Online: 1145

View Poll Results: Do you make a spare negative?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 40.58%
  • No

15 21.74%
  • Sometimes

26 37.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also usually shoot one, unless I need a second becuase I'm not sure how I want to develop it, or I want to do a normal development plus an extended development for alternative printing.

I'll also expose a second one if I think something went wrong, whatever that might be. For example I've been using a salvaged lens without a shutter recently and sometimes I shake the camera when I make use of my piece-of-black-paper lens.

The film expense isn't really the reason (I shoot pretty low volume anyway) - I carry 9 holders and I don't like running out of film before an outing is done.
    Last edited by walter23; 10-27-2007 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Technically it is impossible to shoot the same scene twice. You can never capture that past moment in time again. : )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    After a couple of heartbreaks I started to shoot two. And just recently I let the $$$-signs into my head and only shot one on something really meaningful... and guess what, it was a fogged sheet. So I will continue to shoot two and not allow myself to make the same mistake again!

Robert, you're right of course, when it comes to handheld rangefindery shots, and in that case, I do with that I had duped a few of my negs before allowing them to collect dust and scratches in the printing phase.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes - under one of these conditions:

1. The scene is something that is so absolutely, mind-blowingly fabulous that I feel compelled to make a spare. I should note, however, that since I've started using a slosher for developing film, I so seldom damage a sheet during processing that I wonder if this is necessary. But I also have to admit that one of the corollaries of Murhpy's Law is that it is the negatives of those truly amazing scenes that I opt to not duplicate that I do screw up. Damn!

2. The lighting is on the borderline of requiring some kind of compensating development, and I choose to expose two negatives so that I can work it both ways.
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If film costs are the deciding factor when you're out there shooting then I would suggest not getting into ULF. Worrying about money involved with what you're doing will rob from your artistic vision. Many times I've shot multiple sheets of ULF film of slight variations of a scene because it moved me emotionally. I want to feel out there and I don't mean feel for my wallet. But hey....everyone is different...thank God

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to have a sixth sense about making a second exposure. I do it only on a kind of hunch, I guess that applies to why I make most of my photographs as well. When I do make a backup neg it seems as though it's almost always needed do to some technical problem... a scratch, fingerprint etc. As long as it's working I'll keep following those hunches. I'm in a similar boat as Thomas though. I could never afford to make a backup of EACH exposure. That would add up fast!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When being paid I make 2 of all shots and proces them seperatly. When shooting for my self I shot multiple shots, but generally change position and or exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    When it is possible, always.

1. Covers my butt for dust, or other unforseen problems with a negative.

2. Allows me to adjust processing on the second negative if I am not happy with the development of the first.

I rarely need to use the second negative, but when I have what I consider to be a great shot, and it saves the day, it is well worth it to me. As I went through all the trouble to be there, set up, compose, meter, and expose, the additional minute and minor expense of exposing the other side of the holder are justified for me.

Of course, during changing conditions, or with certain subjects, it's not always possible to make a second exposure. I'm not out there machine gunning with my view camera, so the difference in film cost is really minor in the grand scheme. I'm definitley not rich, either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    When it is possible, always.
    1. Covers my butt for dust, or other unforseen problems with a negative.
    we've seen your other unforseen problems on video !!!!!

Hows the cold ?

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-27-2007 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    we've seen your other unforseen problems on video !!!!!

Hows the cold ?

Ian
    That cold got better, but I'm just getting over the new one. Seems like I get a cold every fall. The afore mentioned video (the real one) is nearing release. I had some pressing personal issues that forced a delay, and I'm re shooting a few parts I was not happy with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin