Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 969

View Poll Results: Do you make a spare negative?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 40.58%
  • No

15 21.74%
  • Sometimes

26 37.68%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I almost always shoot a backup negative. I like to be kind to the guy in the darkroom -- me. It's nice to be able to adjust development if needed, so it's good to have a spare.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, thinking in terms of experience and cost, I always expose two exactly the same regardless of the format. More times than I can remember, the #2 neg was the "user". Because the adjustments made in the second development improved something. Much less expensive than having to make a return trip to the location and hoping for a good exposure.

Charlie...............................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't... I kinda play it by ear. When I am being stubborn and say I can't afford to waste film and shoot only one shot per scene, something always goes wrong.
    Depending on the scene, I will make an additional exposure knowing that there is a lot of sky or water (both seem to attract dust like crazy ) just to be safe. There are times when I just feel right about making only one exposure.
    With the 4x5, because I have plenty of holders, I am more likely to make the additional exposure. With 5x7 and a few less holders... well I wish I had more holders.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I voted 'SOMETIMES'. It is very conditional. If I'm unsure of the developer/development I'll make an identical back up. If I'm unsure of the exposure I will make one at each consideration. If I plan to use a filter I will usually make an extra exposure without the filter.

Seldom do I have the confidence to let everything hang on one exposure.

I couldn't vote 'ALWAYS' and there isn't a "MOST OF THE TIME".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I almost always shoot more than one. The bad part is when I start shooting two... and then 4 more with different f-stops and filters, so I can pick the best negative later (at which point I've lost track of what filter, etc went with each neg).

I've managed to cut out the filter experimenting by shooting color (and scanning and converting to b&w). I still shoot extras when I'm not sure of depth of field and motion blur issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I voted no but that's qualified. I will usually shoot only one LF negative at any one opportunity. But I usually carry either the Nikon and/or my C220 with me, loaded with B&W film. The Nikon because it will give me an image I can reference, the C220 will give me a usable negative for printing if I screw up the LF process (it happens *L*). Now we all know it's not the same, you are in a different mode of seeing/printing with MF but the image is still there, captured.

I really can't remember the last time I printed a 135 negative I was anywhere near happy with.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I voted always and with 4x5 its always been. I've just started shooting 8x10 and until I get more holders I'm shooting just 1 of each scene.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    28 Oct 2007

I will expose a second negative when I am faced with a situation that might call for modified (plus or minus) development. This allows me to process and print one exposure, then modify development to optimize the second exposure. Many times I have found that the my first negative was good. So what do I do with the second exposure?

Instead of leaving it undeveloped, I will use it in some experiment or test that may need to be done. In many cases this is exploring the effect of plus or minus development, or trying a different developer, or a new development method, or some post-development processing, etc. This list is almost endless.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver View Post
    28 Oct 2007

Many times I have found that the my first negative was good. So what do I do with the second exposure?

Instead of leaving it undeveloped, I will use it in some experiment or test that may need to be done. In many cases this is exploring the effect of plus or minus development, or trying a different developer, or a new development method, or some post-development processing, etc. This list is almost endless.

Regards,
    Darwin
    D,

Take every second negative and develop it in WD2D+. You might be amazed.

Ah... Maybe we need to go shooting some weekend day? The boat marina in Moss Landing?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin