Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,380   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    GreyWolf and I were pondering this last night. Why is it that on field cameras in particular the lens board is very often drilled with the mounting hole just lower than center. Then when you bring the front lens standard up to the center marks it seems to center the lens with the rear standard.

I've been making my lensboards with the hole in the middle. Have I been committing some grave error?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric, Thanks for bringing up this observation. I have been doing the same thing (centering the hole). I don't have an answer other then to think that maybe one uses front rise more often then fall, at least that is my experience.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think you are correct with this observation. I also don't think you are committing a grave largeformat error.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey I just had a brain wave! Oh that hurt. Anyway the former post about increasing rise gave me an idea. You could actually extend rise or fall by just turning the lens over. So if you need to increase rise you would position the lens so the hole was above center.

Darn now I have to make all new lensboards! Lucky I make them out of very thin plywood used for modelling. That and some flat black spray paint and I'm off to the races.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

I've read that drilling the hole off-center is actually fairly common. Probably a lot cheaper than buying a new Linhof.

Of course, you could drill the hole off-center, buy the Linhof anyway, then give that new camera to your best friend as a birthday present. Ah, well...just an idea.

Your best friend,

Prime

Wait they're supposed to be centred?-))) Not just for rise and fall. You can put the hole anyplace that helps.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Linhof lensboard holes are supposed to be off-center. I believe it has something do with the construction of the Technicas, although I could well be wrong.

All Linhof (Technika) original boards I have seen have been off center - both Tech III and IV boards, for 6x9, 4x5" and 5x7".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Linhof techs have rise, but no fall. By drilling the boards off-center, the zeroed position gives a bit of fall the camera otherwise wouldn't be capable of.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, then I guess you might be able to only rotate the lensboard 90 degrees and get a little extra shift. 8)
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to think it was due to the lack of fall too, but found out I was wrong. There IS a very slight fall possible; and when the lensboard is centered on the mark, the lens is centered on the film.

Since the lensboards are ony almost square, they only fit in one position.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin