Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,540   Posts: 1,598,870   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ansel Adams camera & other info

First off, I'm not one of those people who thinks "If I had the same rig as him, I'd be able to take the same photos." At the same time however, I'm always interested in what equipment pros use, and what they've got tucked in their bags.

I found this little bit on PBSs website: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/ansel/s...sf_camera.html

There's a description of a view camera plus labeled parts and if you click on the Explore a View Camera link, the Flash presentation has some cool info on how to use one.

It may be boring for full-time LF users, but I've never even seen an LF camera before so it's quite facinating
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most if not all new view camera are unlike the one shown. Modern cameras generally don't allow focussing with the rear standard, although many allow rear tilt, swing and shift.

In some ways the camera shown is more versatile particularly for portraits and still-life/close up work where focussing with the front standard also alters the perspective slightly. (As you focus the lens gets nearer to the subject) So rear focussing is a big asset.

Many of us are still using older Kodaks, Agfa-Anscos etc similar to the one in that very a good little flash illustration.

This is a site with quite a few photographs of similar early US cameras.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Most if not all new view camera are unlike the one shown. Modern cameras generally don't allow focussing with the rear standard, although many allow rear tilt, swing and shift.

Actually, a lot of modern view cameras do allow focusing with the rear standard: Wisner, Ebony, Canham, Sinar, for example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a chance to use one of AA's cameras once. It was a Graphic. A few years ago, a friend lent it to me for a week cause I was looking to buy one. After a week, I said "Can I buy that one from you? You never use it". He said "Fat chance, that was a gift from AA himself, one of his cameras." And all that time he never mentioned it!!

http://www.saretgallery.com/j_nixonbio.html

Sadly, his website is gone but found this bio on him.

Thanks for the link to the PBS website! They've got a lot of interesting Ansel details

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone ever seen any programs on PBS about cameras, of any kind, and how to use them? Or about developing film, etc? I think I did some searches last year on a PBS site (of some sort) and didnt find any camera references. Just wondering, thanks for any input.

As Ansel used to say, "Take a picture, it will last longer".

paulie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin