Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Is 5x7 film same size as 13x18 cm film ?

Hi !
    One see film holders in 5x7 film size and in 13x18 cm film size. sometimes, they are advertised as 5x7/13x18...
    So is it possible to use 5x7 film in a 13x18 film holder and the other way round ?
    If I convert the inches with 2.54 cm for an inch the difference is not so great, after all !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No they aren't the same, but modern film holders have the same outside dimensions so a 5x7 International back will accept a 13x18 film holder and vice versa. Same goes for 5x4 and 9x12.

The film sizes are still different, and older film holders differ too.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Ian has said, 13x18 (cm) and 5x7 (inch) holders can both be used in a ' 5x7 ' back, although the film sizes differ. So too can half-plate film holders, which have the same outside dimensions and take the 4 3/4 x 6 1/2" (12x16.5cm) sheets. I have half a dozen boxes of half-plate Velvia in the film 'fridge - it's a nice size.

Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a little more details...

A 13x18cm film has a nominal size of 12.7x17.8cm, which by sheer coincindence happens to be 5 by 7 inches. But since all modern film sizes are derived from plate sizes minus a few mm for film adapter sheaths, the 5x7" film is smaller than the nominal size of a 13x18cm film.

The result of this is that a 13x18 film will buckle in a 5x7" holder, and a 5x7" film will drop out of a 13x18 holder. I have has both of these things happen to me. But I have also come across films at the extremes of the production tolerance, so that I could use 5x7" films in 13x18 holders and vice versa! However one should not rely on this, as it happens very rarely (and most often with producers with somewhat sloppy quality control).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well... my experience is a little different...
    5x7 inches is 10,2x12,7 centimeters, 13x18 centimeters is 13x18 centimeters...
    I have 13x18 holders an 13x18 film, the film does fit in without problem; 5x7 film enters too but it moves inside.
    I have 5x7 film hangers and 13x18 film and the film DOES NOT fit in! there are 3 millimeters of difference, but sufficient not to let the film to go inside a 5x7 hanger...
    "Photograpy: optical and chemical way to translate light"

Italian independent Pentax user's site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know where you are buying your inches from but I'm afraid you are being short-changed - 102mm x 127mm is 4"x5", not 5"x7".

Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I don't know where you are buying your inches from but I'm afraid you are being short-changed - 102mm x 127mm is 4"x5", not 5"x7".

Bob.
    ...ops! Sorry!!! 5"x7" is 127mm x 178mm... A little confusion
    "Photograpy: optical and chemical way to translate light"

Italian independent Pentax user's site

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Yesterday I've got the two holders.
    They are old Fidelity (look like new plastic one but they have dark slide like the old one, made for plates).
    On the top plastic part is molded Fidelity 5x7 film holder and on one recess at the middle of the top of the holder there is a painting that says 13x18 cm ...
    So I still wonder if I can feed them with both sizes or not ;-) For now, I only got 8 sheets of FP4+ in 13x18 given to me by a fellow photographer, but who knows, I may get some 5x7 one day !

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "easy" way to tell the difference is that if 13x18cm is painted on, they're 13x18. ALL the Fidelity holders in those sizes are marked 5x7", and then 13x18 or 4 1/2 x 6 1/2" is painted on for those made different.

Yes, it's confusing. Yes, some sellers don't know the difference...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just started shooting Efke direct postive paper in my 5x7, and the paper has to be trimmed to fit the 5x7 holders. (Ortho film also has to be trimmed) Anyone know offhand if 5x7 paper would fit in 13x18 holders? And whether the 13x18 holders would fit in a 90-year-old Seneca View that currently has wooden holders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin