Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,681   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    In the large format thread mentioned above, I recommended Ralph Lambrecht's "binary" holder marking method. Still do. A bit of time and work to get all your holders marked, but you can backtrack any negative.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A binary system works well for this aging computer repairman, with a narrow notch representing a zero and a wider notch representing a one. Seven notches will number up to 127 holders. It takes only seconds with a sharp knife or chisel to number wooden holders, and a few seconds more with a file to number plastic holders. Other systems mentioned in earlier posts should work as well for those not comfortable with binary math.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the method mentioned in Ralph Lambrecht's book as well. You don't have to notch through the entire hinge edge to make it work. You can number at least 30 holders with the system as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The one problem I have with these systems is that I print and show the rebate of the film with my alt processes. I don't want my numbering method to show up as part of my image.

And so far, in 30 years of LF work, I have not really had any great need to identify which holders a negative came out of post-developing...pre-developing, yes, but these methods do nothing to help then.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I process up to 20 sheets of 5x7 at once, in 10 double stainless steel hangers, so one hangar per holder. When I load the hangars, I stack the film holders in sequential order, and the hangars in the same order, and after fixing, the lights go on, and I can easily determine from which holder the film is from. In processing to agitate, I lift the hangar group as a unit from the developing solutions. The hangars never get out of order. This can be carried thru washing and drying, with hanging the individual sheets up in order in the drying cabinet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    This is a well done article. I sued this method on my film holders with some modifications and it works great.

The files are a real pain and take forever. If you are obsessive, patient, and have a weekend to burn then have at it. I had 25 film holders to do so that means 50 iterations of etching the film holders. I bouth 3 different shapes of cutting tools for my Dremel tool and buzzed off the gouges in the film holder. The notches are 3 different sizes of half rounds that are clearly discernable from one another. I put the 5's and 1's on one side and the 10's on the other side.

I have some film holders with the built in numbering system but it does not work well. The numbers get nudged out of position at times. Depending on the lighting of the scene, the numbers might not be visible. The above method is relatively foolproof. You need to be careful not to make a mess and get shavings all over the film holders though. I have an air compressor which helped blow out any small fragments when I cleaned up.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Has anyone here used that process of marking holders?
    Curt,

Not this method, but a similar one. I made a template from aluminum that lets me notch the film holders using base2 numbers. That is, the first notch on the right is 1, the next one 2, then 4, 8, and 16. This allows for up to 31 film holders, each with exposed triangles that represent the number.

Rich

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Rich's template solves the problem of wandering marks.

If you can position them predictably. you can clearly distinguish the blank spaces (10001 =17 would look like 1 1, the 1's being the marks. With uniform spacing (good idea Rich) 10001 is hopefully unambiguously distinguishable from 01001 = 9. With sloppy mark spacing, they could be confused.

Does anyone agree that notches probably weaken the filmholder lip less than small holes all the way thru?
    Murray

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting.
    Strange enough I never read anything about that holder lip marking over here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin