Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,864   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Holder Numbering

In my first days at Brooks Institute I was given a small piece of paper that told how to notch film holders in roman numerals so the film could be tracked to the info by way of the number. For example a "V" is of course five, and you just had to write five in the notebook and the information after it.

Has anyone here used that process of marking holders? I have my original 4x5 holders that are marked but I haven't done it for my 5x or 8x. I was developing some 8x10 negatives this weekend and keeping track of the films, different lenses, same subject, has been a challenge.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did you mean they were marked in such a way as to leave the negative holders number along the film's edge after it was developed?

I've only got six holders and didn't think to go the roman numeral route, but used a really small triangular file to make notches in the plastic flap that rests against the film, at the bottom of the holder.

To get roman numerals I guess you'd use a small triangular file for the V's and a really thin file for the l's.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Twin/Quad checks work very well for me. Then I got SUPER lucky and ended up with a large quantity of film holders that number the film itself.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you mean they were marked in such a way as to leave the negative holders number along the film's edge after it was developed?
    Yes

To get roman numerals I guess you'd use a small triangular file for the V's and a really thin file for the l's.
    That's exactly right, use a small file and a knife or blade etc. to make the marks so they print black in the rebate. Very handy for info and to keep track of the holder for any maintenance.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add that the one is narrower than a ten, which is a little larger, 40 is a 10, larger square bottom notch and and "L" which is represented as a round bottom notch, use a round file if you get that many. So 40 is XL, which is a larger square bottom notch and a half circle or "U" shaped notch.

The sheet I have is titled "How to number film". There is a reference to "Fidelity" on the bottom and it has a "Deluxe" holder ad about how to use a pencil on the white data area tab, "Originally pioneered by Fidelity".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a slam-dunk perfect method, unless you lose your notes

Added later: I remember somebody posting a link to a site where the method you're talking is described...maybe they'll chime in.

I only have six holders, so it's not such a big problem.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a round (5/32") file for the 10's, a small triangular file for the 5's, and a line (cut with a hack saw blade) for the 1's. Works like a charm. So UVII would be 17.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have some whole plate bookform holders that have a rectangle for ten, a V for 5 and a line for 1's. It works great and I have thought about doing it on all my other holders in other formats.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    On a couple used holders I got, someone drilled very small holes in the rails that the long sides of the film slip under inside the holders.

Vaughn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin