Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,552   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are you satisfied now LF-pushers?

So........ Well ok here it goes.
    I bought this lens with some extras, a 90mm f/8 Super angulon.
    Well, actually I got not just that but also a 150mm f/5.6 symmar.
    Ok some filmholders got thrown in,........ and a polback, a 3X4 polback, and a 6X7cm back.
    Well actually I bought a Sinar Norma 5X7 with a 4X5 reducing back, Sigh.
    Are you satisfied now? You know, its all your fault.
    So that makes me a large format shoo/owner
    Ok some Qs
    The 90mm Super angulon got the prediction "for pictorial effects only" from the seller. Is that the normal view on this lens (could be this specimen only).
    How does the two lenses cover 13X18cm?
    The ground glasses look somewhat dim, should I buy new ones? How much better will they be.
    Hints and good advises?
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't worry, your feelings of inadequacy are far from over... Now you've finally got the large format stuff, you'll suddenly realise how many people don't think it's proper large format until at least 8x10

Seriously though, sounds like some nice toys. I'm only just on the start of my large-format voyage, but it's a great learning experience .
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Søren,

Always glad to see someone else lose their soul to LF! Sounds like a great kit, especially with all the reducing backs.

I have no experience with those specific lenses so can't offer any advice with respect to them.

The gg probably are dim. They usually are. The Satin Snow gg is excellent. I can actually focus pretty good without a loupe. The other alternative is to buy fresnel viewing plates. However, if memory serves me right, a new Satin Snow is less money than a new fresnel.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Now you've finally got the large format stuff, you'll suddenly realise how many people don't think it's proper large format until at least 8x10
    HAH! Some truth to that in my experience. However, I think you will find the 5x7 format very pleasing. Its substantially larger than the 4x5; composing through the gg is a wondrous experience, and it makes a very nice contact print.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    soeren, youve been mislead... 4x5/5x7 are medium format.

congrats on the new acquisition.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Søren,

My 90mm f:8 Super Angulon is super sharp, and covers 5x7" straight on. If it's "pictorial effects only", there might be something very wrong with it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Søren,

Check the serial number on your Super-Angulon: the rear component should be engraved with the same last four digits as the serial number on the front rim. If they are not a set, that is a problem. Also check for proper seating in the shutter, etc. Mine gives excellent results. Schneider's coverage figures are very conservative, mine does cover 5x7"/13x18cm @f22.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you'll find the 90 to be quite wide on 5x7. Congrats on the Norma kit, I'm jealous. They're terrific cameras. There are lots of options for ground glass replacements - SatinSnow is just one option. I would look into getting a Sinar fresnel and ground-glass kit for your Norma; it will be quite a bit brighter and sharper. Yes it will be more expensive, but it will also be brighter than a SatinSnow - the Sinar OEM glass-and-fresnel is VERY bright. If that doesn't work, take measurements and see if a Canham glass-and-fresnel will fit (call up a Keith Canham dealer and ask them to get you dimensions). I did that substitute on my Shen Hao 4x5, as the factory ground glass was quite dim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Søren, I too shoot a 5x7 Norma. If you want THE BEST ground glass that will be so bright people will ask you if it's an LCD display, get yourself a Maxwell screen:

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

Bill Maxwell's screens are eyepoppingly bright, and easy to focus. Expensive, but worth every penny.

If you find that you need a bellows for your Norma, these folks have patterns on hand and can ship you a replacement within a week's time, and their prices are the lowest among established makers:

http://www.camerabellows.com/

Have fun with Norma -- she's a sweetheart.

RFXB

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just go shoot and ignore all the pesky people .... including me.

C

PS You have yourself some fine stuff there!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin