Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,802   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I'm fed up with this tripod

I'm asking Santa for a new tripod this christmas. What are you guys using? It won't need to support anything more than 4X5. Just need a couple of suggestions to keep an eye out for. Old, ugly and heavy is fine. Probably be shopping on ebay. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been more than happy with my Tiltall.
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    I'm asking Santa for a new tripod this christmas. What are you guys using? It won't need to support anything more than 4X5. Just need a couple of suggestions to keep an eye out for. Old, ugly and heavy is fine. Probably be shopping on ebay. Thanks.
    Manfrotto 3221W is my normal tripod, I've used it for 7 years or so, and just replaced the head. I'm considering replacing it with a carbon fiber equivalent.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Husky Quick Set. It's not super light but you can kill a man with one. Ebay, usually well under $50. Geared center column, three-way pan tilt. Some come with a long tilt-knob, some short. I've the Husky Quick Set IV, $30 shipped. It holds my speed graphic w/ 15" tele optar well, fully extended.
    I'd also second the Tiltall, that was my second choice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Tiltall. I bought one second-hand about 35 years ago, and it's never let me (or the camera) down. I don't have any experience with the new versions made overseas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I have a Manfrotto head already I am very happy with. That will save a few bucks. I almost picked up one of those county surveying tripods at a garage sale, but it was just too heavy. Tiltall and Husky Quickset, I'll put a bug in the wife's ear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get an older majestic - that way you get the bonus camera ejector seat thrown in for free! (anybody know what I'm talkin' about??)

but seriously- to my mind the manfrottos are superb. But only for a light medium format at maximum. Their bigger tripods I find kind of 'rickety'. I'd get a tripod suitable for the heaviest camera you have. Personally I'd choose a 300 or 400 series gitzo, used. Nothing else really comes to mind in my gitzo-centric world.

Tiltalls are awesome for lighter cameras, imo.

CGross
    I purchased a Berlebach 3022 earlier this year that replaced a my old heavy Bogen 3051 and 3021. It is a beautiful, sturdy, light tripod that functions great. In addition to this tripod I have been very pleased with another tripod I picked up used. It is an Induro A414. Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but both tripods are very reasonably priced new and sometimes appear on the used market.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    What are you guys using? It won't need to support anything more than 4X5.
    I was fed up with mine, too. I bought a Ries J-600 and a J-250 head at the LF Convention. Horrifyingly expensive, but it was the best money I've ever spent on photo gear. No other tripod is acceptable to me now, and I can't think of any other field of endeavor where a product exists that I can say that about.

It makes a tremendous difference in the way I use the camera and in my ability to find images on the groundglass and this is something I never could have believed until I used it.

You might want to consider it. I see them on ebay all the time, but you have to make sure that you get a Ries head. Most of the ones I see are auctioned with no head at all. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Been a lot happier with my Tiltall ('86 or so) since I replaced the center column with one from Gitzo and the head with an Acratech. It holds an F100 and a 180/2.8 + 2x steady, so it's probably good for 4x5. The head was a major improvement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin